Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Winter exercise

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 15 Replies
The only sport ds enjoys is swimming. She won't take classes in the winter because of the cold. She doesn't get walkin, playing outside or any other exercise in the winter.

I'm not sure how much she would fight it, but probably some...do you think it's okay to require an 8-year-old to do exercise DVDs (she has two kids DVDs) or Wii Fit at least a few days a week? It just seems weird, but any doctor will tell you we all need exercise!
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almburr
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Why doesn't she play outside in the winter?
Impressionists
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM
She doesn't. Lol. It's cold. There's no snow. If there were snow, she would.

Quoting almburr: Why doesn't she play outside in the winter?
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Has she tried anything besides swimming? Martial Arts? Indoor soccer? Anything? 

Both of my girls take Karate so they exercise at least 5 days per week. They love it.  It might be worth looking into. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Impressionists
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM
We've tried about anything. She is very sensitive to noise. She wouldn't stay in the karate classroom for long at all the one time we tried it. It is loud!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Has she tried anything besides swimming? Martial Arts? Indoor soccer? Anything? 

Both of my girls take Karate so they exercise at least 5 days per week. They love it.  It might be worth looking into. 

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Why can't she swim? We still swim in winter here, it's not like she'd be swimming outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Swimming is a winter sport here.

Quoting canadianmom1974: Why can't she swim? We still swim in winter here, it's not like she'd be swimming outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Nothing wrong with wii fit. At least she's moving.
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Does she have PE and recess at school? My kids don't play outside much in the winter either, for its miserable out. Dd gets PE and outdoor recess 5 days a week though. DS gets a bit of outdoor time at daycare. They enjoy WII fit on occasion too. Honestly, I cannot stand being outside this time of year. I too am less active. :0 I'll hit the treadmill more.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It's very warm/humid in an indoor pool. You just bundle up well when you leave : )

I make my kids play Wii Fit Plus some during the colder months if I think they are getting a bit too couch potato-y. Nothing wrong w/ that- at least it gets them moving some. Maybe you could get a Just Dance or Just Dance for Kids game for it for some variety.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM

We're in SoCal, so it's not a huge deal (winter, that is), but DS loves the trampoline park. On Black Friday I paid for him to spend three hours there and he loved every minute of it. Those places can be loud, but maybe get her earplugs or something?

Too bad they don't have those DZ places anymore. Those were awesome:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)