Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't care.........

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:19 AM
  • 18 Replies

My ds11 has an I don't care attitude.  He is in the 5th grade- often times fails to bring home homework, refuses to study for test, and if he does the homework "forgets" to turn it in.  He has an "I don't care attitude"  This has been ongoing for since the end of 3rd grade and progressively getting worse.  The teachers are trying everything to motivate him and nothing is working.  I have taken away all after school activities banned the tv and no friends and nothing.  He is failing just about all subjects.  He does have an IEP but his math is above average testing a year above and his reading is testing at 2nd grade.  His teachers andI feel that his reading is higher however he just clicks through the material that is being tested and no real try in it. Today I went through his bookbag and found homework that needs to be done over winter break.....any suggestions on what I can do or try to get him moving on the right track????

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes you have to just let them fail, especially when nothing else is working.  IMO failing is the ultimate consequence for not trying.  Unfortunately many parents no longer let their chidlren experience failure of any kind, but it is a great learning experience for the child.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM
I agree with Steel but before letting him fail, have you had medical issues ruled out? Dyslexia or vision problems could be a factor.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sometimes you have to just let them fail, especially when nothing else is working.  IMO failing is the ultimate consequence for not trying.  Unfortunately many parents no longer let their chidlren experience failure of any kind, but it is a great learning experience for the child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM

You need to have this child evaluted for inattentive ADD IMMEDIATELY.  He has all the signs.

There's not a child on earth who truly "doesn't care."  These kids care very very much-- but they'd rather you think they didn't care than have you think they are stupid.  .

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him fail. Some kids just do not want to put in the effort no matter what or have to be close to failing the grade before they will step at at the last minute. Over break, don't even remind him of the homework and if it's not done, tell his teacher to fail him. Some kids need to learn the hard way.

Trevorsmom0210
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM
My son is 8 and in 3rd grade. He is also saying the I don't care too and it really bugs me. He takes an hour to do his homework when it should take ten minutes. I feel like this testing in school is hard on the kids and too much homework are we expecting our kids to be robots? How do you know if your child has a learning disorder?
Happy0064
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I know that my son has vision issues.  He has had glasses since kindergarten.  I had my son tested towards the end of 4th grade through the school because he was failing all his classes.  They told me that he is moderately mentally handicapped.  They told me is IQ was 74 but if you talk to my child and ask him questions he can add subtract and multiply like no tomorrow. He is quick witted and social accepted among his peers.  The test results just don't add up to what I am seeing.  On a side note his brother has autism and I do not see any signs like I did with his brother.   I have let him fail however the school will not hold him back (and I have mentioned that at the end of 4th grade) they just keep pushing him forward.  It is like he has mentally checked out.

dommad2
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM
What is his IEP for?
Happy0064
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:52 PM

It is plug in service.  They have an aide in the classroom to help him if he doesn't understand what they teaching.  They also help him with homework questions and he does tutoring one day a week after school he gets help in reading and in math (not sure why math because he is testing a year ahead)

Quoting dommad2: What is his IEP for?

dommad2
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Whats the diagnosis

Quoting Happy0064:

It is plug in service.  They have an aide in the classroom to help him if he doesn't understand what they teaching.  They also help him with homework questions and he does tutoring one day a week after school he gets help in reading and in math (not sure why math because he is testing a year ahead)

Happy0064
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Processing disorder

Quoting dommad2: Whats the diagnosis
Quoting Happy0064:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)