Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Telling them about Santa.

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 25 Replies
When do you personally think the right age is to sit them down and tell them about Santa?
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM
My dd was 10 when I told her. She gave a big belly laugh and said "good one Mom, you had me going for years" and never second guessed me. That's good, right?!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM
3 moms liked this
We never "sat them down"

The kids all figured it out in their own way. Pretty much, each hinted they didnt believe and then I made a point to say things like,"I love that Santa lives on in the spirit of Christmas! Or As long as you believe, Santa IS real in your heart.

This happened around age nine with each. This year I took kids one at a time for "elfing" aka helping Santa by shopping for gifts..lol
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM
We never did Santa so we never had to explain it.
Happy0064
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

My son was 10 when I started hinting Santa wasn't real.  Once he figured out all the pieces he was OK with it.  This year no Santa but the magic of Christmas is still there.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Quoting mcginnisc: We never did Santa so we never had to explain it.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The right age would be when they really begin to question things and not believe any of the little cover stories that we parents tell them.  Basically the right age is when they already have figured it out on their own.  I see no need to ruin the magic and fun of Santa for a child who still who heartedly believes.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I will/would never sit any of my kids down and tell them that. Heck, even once I know they have figured it out on their own, I don't say anything like that to them.

My view probably comes from the fact that I don't remember stopping believing. What I do remember is changing my thinking when I was about 12 from "Santa is real and comes to my house" to "Santa is real, but b/c he has so many other little kids to visit, when you hit a certain age, Mom and Dad take over for him."

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Dec. 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I love this idea.  DD will turn nine this coming year(2015).  I think they both have an inkling about him(8-9 in a week and a half and 7), but until they ask DH and I will not say anything.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: This happened around age nine with each. This year I took kids one at a time for "elfing" aka helping Santa by shopping for gifts..lol

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM
100% this!

Quoting steelcrazy:

The right age would be when they really begin to question things and not believe any of the little cover stories that we parents tell them.  Basically the right age is when they already have figured it out on their own.  I see no need to ruin the magic and fun of Santa for a child who still who heartedly believes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhiannonaisling
by on Dec. 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM
My 12 year old still firmly believes in Santa.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)