Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd grade hw help

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Mobile Photo

I don't know how to do this, I'm embarrassed to say that but it's the truth. Usually I help her out but this has no instructions.
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM
You're just adding. The empty boxes are for carrying over.

So for 34 + 9 you do 4 + 9 which is 13. Put the 3 in the ones and carry the 1 to the tens then add the 3 and 1 so the answer is 43.

In the chart 4 tens and 3 ones. :)
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I agree.  Very basic addition.  My boys always drew circles in the chart area.

Quoting mom2jessnky: You're just adding. The empty boxes are for carrying over. So for 34 + 9 you do 4 + 9 which is 13. Put the 3 in the ones and carry the 1 to the tens then add the 3 and 1 so the answer is 43. In the chart 4 tens and 3 ones. :)

nooneknows319
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Thank u ladies, I knew it was adding but the boxes threw me off.
MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's just basic addition. They just made it look more complicated than they needed it to be.

Wendsdy
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You're not alone. My Daughter is in 2nd grade. There is no examples in her math book this year. Last year I had instructions and was still saying...huh?  They do things different than I did when I was little.  I still think they should re teach the parents at the start of each year :)

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Lol I couldn't figure out what the boxes were for either. Oldest DD is also in second grade.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agree.  Very basic addition.  My boys always drew circles in the chart area.

Quoting mom2jessnky: You're just adding. The empty boxes are for carrying over.

So for 34 + 9 you do 4 + 9 which is 13. Put the 3 in the ones and carry the 1 to the tens then add the 3 and 1 so the answer is 43.

In the chart 4 tens and 3 ones. :)

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

You do not need to know how to do this. This is her homework, she is supposed to be doing it, I'm sure that they went over it in class. Tell her to give it her best shot and if she gets it wrong, all well, she will learn and can do it right in the future. 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Some kids need a visual reminder that carrying over happens, that's why the box is there. :)

Quoting nooneknows319: Thank u ladies, I knew it was adding but the boxes threw me off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)