Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think there is a danger in telling your child that they are so cute all the time?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM
  • 34 Replies

Some one told me that it makes children grow to be fresh and disrepectful if they think they are too cute "0_0" What's your opinion?

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I see no problem with a healthy self esteem. I was talking to a HS teacher about this generation and how they seem to have a better sense of self by taking selfies all the time. It's really a change in the way we view ourselves. As a teen if I spent a lot of time in front of the mirror I was called vain, but now it's normal to take many pictures of yourself all the time. A practice I am not comfortable with, in fact I do not think I have kept or even shared any selfie ever.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I think that it will make the child conceited, but that is just me.  Not every thing that anyone does is cute nor does it deserve praise.

FYI - I've never referred to a person as "fresh".  That's an odd expression to me.  Food is fresh, air is fresh, but a person - not so much.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM
My oldest was born with a facial defect. Don't think I can tell him too much he looks cute. H needs that boost. Kids comment on differences but he needs to see tha beauty is in eye of beholder and I find him cute and others will see past scars and crocked noses,

Do think there is a balance. It's one thing to build self esteem and another to inflate an ego. I have friends that do the latter and have to say their kids think they are sll that and then some and eventual it's going to be a wake up call. I tell my oldest more then my youngest. He is very confident at 6. Don't need to make his head bigger.
reche1978
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I disagree i tell both my kids that but that doesnt excuse bad behavior.  When they are in trouble they know it and being cute doesnt work

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The only danger is that if all of the praise they receive is about their looks, they can grow up to believe that's all they're worth. So make sure you're praising them for their skills and achievements too.

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM
If that's all they hear, then yes, it can be harmful. I tell my kids they're cute, moreso when they were younger, but I also tell them they're smart and creative and strong and sensitive. And I also tell them when they are being little shits (though not in those words).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM
I was just about to say this. I would say praise more effort but I don't see the harm in telling them they are cute.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

The only danger is that if all of the praise they receive is about their looks, they can grow up to believe that's all they're worth. So make sure you're praising them for their skills and achievements too.

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I  don't see an issue with telling them that they are cute but it is also important to praise the effort they put in to stuff and things like that

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I tell all of my students that they are cuties. I think children NEED to hear positive things like that. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

matofour
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM
While I totally agree kids need to hear positive things,
How about positive things like:
You are so kind, generous, accepting, funny, smart, knowledgeable, a great friend.
I prefer to build self esteem with things that don't have anything to do with looks. My kids, and when I taught were so much more than looks.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I tell all of my students that they are cuties. I think children NEED to hear positive things like that. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)