Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YUCK! Bugs served for lunch

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM
  • 39 Replies

The West Allegheny School District confirmed Monday that students at three elementary schools were served contaminated rice.

Officials said rice weevils, which are tiny, beetle-like insects found in older boxes of rice, were discovered in bags of rice that were cooked and served to students at Donaldson, McKee and Wilson elementary schools Monday.

Around 130 students were served the rice, school officials said.

The bags of rice were delivered to the district in sealed bags, and it’s believed that the rice was already contaminated before being given to the schools.

Officials looked over the Donaldson Elementary School cafeteria Monday evening, where the meals for all the elementary schools are prepared.

The district said it believes this instance was an isolated incident.

- See more at: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/insects-found-rice-served-3-w-allegheny-school-dis/njgqg/#sthash.4STlXexB.dpuf

This is a neighboring school district for me, so it is hitting really close to home.

What would you do if your child was served this lunch?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemytwo88
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:13 AM
Ewe gross!
mama0106
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM
That is sad poor kids
Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:29 AM
Extra protein! My kid puts everything into her mouth. She's probably consumed much worse things on her own. That being said, I always wash rice and check it before I cook it. They should have seen it if they were paying attention.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

My first question is if eating these bugs actually hurts my child - I'm guessing not, that it's more of the "extra protein!" reaction Adnalor had.  It does sound gross to me, though.

I would appreciate knowing that the school is working with the supplier to make sure it doesn't happen again, though.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

what would I do?  Not much I can do, really... the incident is over, the issues are being addressed, and obviously, my kid did not get sick.  I would caution my child to report any lunch items that do not look rights...

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Its gross, but it won't hurt them. It happens to even the best kept foods at times. I do hope, though, that they're inspecting the rest of the food they have to make sure it hasn't been infested too.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

mmmm protein!

It's not ideal, but I certainly wouldn't have my panties all in a knot about it. Stuff happens.

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM

The FDA actually sets an "acceptable" level of contamination with all food products and while I don't think this is acceptable, I don't think it's worth freaking out over! Mistakes happen. If they keep happening? Then I would worry about the supplier. 

Mom2Boys9501
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Be grossed out but neither of my kids would have gotten that.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Eww..gross but definitely NOT somethinng to freak over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)