Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids and laundry chores

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM
  • 26 Replies

Do you makes your kids fold, hang up and put away their clean clothes? What are their ages?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM

My son is 7 and my DD almost 17 and yes. They also help switch laundry from wash into dryer since they were 5yrs old. My son loves to help. 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Yes, they're 12 (this month) and 9 1/2.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have helped put away their clean laundry for a while. They've been doing the stuff that goes in dresser drawers since they were about 4. Hangers waited until they were about 7-8. I really should make them fold their own stuff- they are 15, 11 (on Thurs), and 9.

I really, really need to start teaching my oldest how to do his own laundry. He has moved stuff over to the dryer and started that for me, but I haven't gotten around to the washer instruction. I just haven't felt like fighting that particular battle yet.

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Yes. I dump it all into a basket and they sort it all out and put it away. My kids are almost 5, just turned 7 and just turned 9. 

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Yes.  Our kids are 2, 4 (last week), 6, 7 and two step kids 10 and 13 on some weekends. They all do their own laundry with varying degrees of help. 

The two year old brings her basket into the kitchen, put the clothes in the washer (front loader) and closes the door.  After I put the soap in and push all the settings she helps me push the start button and listens for the end of cycle beep.  Our dryer is next to, rather than on top of, the washer, so after the washer finishes I open the door and she can move everything but the wet towels and blankets to the dryer on her own.  I help with the big stuff, adjust the settings and she pushes start. When the dryer is finished she can pull the clothes out and put them in her basket and carry it to the bedroom.  She pulls the clothes out of the basket and helps lay them flat on the bed in a pile and I fold. I hold the hangers and she tugs the shirts onto hangers and can carry individual folded items to the correct drawers. 

The 4 year old is the same story except I measure the soap and let him pour it in and he can fold his own pants and put away stacks of sorted laundry rather than one item at a time.  Hangers are still hard for him so we do the same thing.  I hold the hanger and he put the clothes on.  He can also pair his own socks. 

The 6 and 7 year olds are completely independent except that they have to show me their soap cup before they pour it in and let me check the settings before they press start (our machine is temperamental!) 

If the 10 and 13 year olds need to do laundry while they are here they just do it.  The 13 year old often washes his clothes late at night so he can wear his favorite clothes over and over again and I don't even know hes done it unless I left something in the dryer and its been moved (and unless its someone else's underware he will usually fold it, too!) 

almburr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Yes. They even wash laundry. Using the washer about age 8. Put away around age 3. Help fold around 3-7. Know how to fold 8.

Mine are 20,16,14,13&10
yourekidding
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM
My 3 year old helps load/switch machines and push start. 6 year old hangs his shirts, folds his pants and puts PJs, underwear and socks away.
M4LG5
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Yes.  Our twins are 8 and sometimes we have them put their clothes in the washer but we mostly do that for them but they are expected to fold and put their clothes away.

Our 11 year old does her own clothes...washes, moves to dryer, folds and puts away.

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM
My 16 and 12 yo can do laundry independently. The 8 yo will help load the washer and take the stuff out of the dryer, he's not quite tall enough to unload the top load washer.

I usually fold everything, though everyone can fold their own stuff (I just do it more neatly), and everyone puts away their own clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM

my kids are 6 and 7.  They are responsible for putting the dirty clothes in the hamper and bringing the hamper downstairs.  Once the clothes come out of the dryer, I fold, then they take them upstairs and put away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)