• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about calling school out for..

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  • 99 Replies
Cold weather? Not snow so the streets aren't safe, but cold so the kids aren't at the bus stops or walking to school? I'll post my opinion after a couple responses.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Well considering how stupid some parents are, I have no problem with this.

I've only experienced delayed start due to cold weather 2x, school started 2 hours late. Not that it did much good...LOL.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Our schools did it for a week straight last year. It isn't something rare.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Well considering how stupid some parents are, I have no problem with this.

I've only experienced delayed start due to cold weather 2x, school started 2 hours late. Not that it did much good...LOL.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

In WI, where we lived for a time, it got down to -20 and lower in the mornings.  That kind of cold freezes the inside of your nose and makes it really hard to breathe through your mouth.  And that is just walking outside for a few seconds.

KelliansMom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM
I'm in GA and last year they did close the schools when the polar vortex came through. But we are not used to that type of cold down here so I inderstood why they did it.
ShaMac
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Our schools close when it gets too cold but not too often. It has to be really cold too. -10 just means they don't have recess.
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Ok, so I will say my stance since a couple have replied.

I think its ridiculous. They miss so much school. They need to hold the parents responsible for kids being at school. If it's too cold to wait at the bus stop, drive them there and sit in the car. If they walk to school, then drive them there. It's our job as parents to be responsible.
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in the south and grew up in tropical climates. I would die in some of these extreme cold temperatures.  117 and muggy I can do all day long, -20 and im not getting out of the damn bed, let alone the house and I would not send my tiny little child out to stand at the bus stop in that weather either.  But we don't live in that climate and would never choose to. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:50 AM

It depends on how cold it is. Last year, when the polar vortex hit, my kids missed a lot of school- partly b/c of snow, partly b/c of the wind chill temps.

What is more likely to happen w/ us is a 2 hr delay so that it can warm up a little before the kids head out to the bus stop.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't live in the cold. Hawaii here. But, gotta throw my 2 cents in. It's not as easy as, just drive them.

It is also my job to provide a roof over their head, medical insurance, food, etc. in order to do that, I hold down a full time job. If I'm late to work all the time because I have to take my kid to school, then I lose the job and all the other stuff that goes with it. My company has a pretty strict attendance policy and "taking my kids to school" because it is cold isn't really on the list of excused tardies. And most times, I am at work at 5:00am and my kids have to get themselves up and to school.

My kids will probably never miss school due to weather (hurricanes and tsunamis are rare), but at the end of the day if my kid misses school, it's not that big of a deal. I always get my daughters class/homework assignments, so she isn't missing much. If she genuinely "missed" something, her teachers and tutors are pretty fabulous about getting her caught up.

If the weather/temperature turned dangerously low suddenly, my kids would stay home. I'm not going to expose them to the elements. Education isn't only something that they get at school. There is online educational activities, educational programming on tv and books to read.

Quoting Mama2ETA: Ok, so I will say my stance since a couple have replied.

I think its ridiculous. They miss so much school. They need to hold the parents responsible for kids being at school. If it's too cold to wait at the bus stop, drive them there and sit in the car. If they walk to school, then drive them there. It's our job as parents to be responsible.
Night_Roane
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in the Deep South and many kids don't have appropriate clothing for extreme cold. Even stores don't sell a lot of heavy winter gear. Plus, the school uniforms (every school in the city has a uniform) aren't designed for very cold weather. It would be important to close the schools of the weather got dangerously cold. People wouldn't know how to handle it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)