Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can someone explain to me how to transfer my child...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
We are moving in less then 2 weeks from TN to SC and I've been trying to get this information for over a month, but I'm hitting dead end after dead end.

My DD is only in K so I've never had to do something like this before.
Is it as simple as going to the school and picking up some papers or what?
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Here it is that simple. Bring the contact info of the old school to the new school and they will request the child's transcripts.
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM
My DS is in prek so idk... but the current school can't help??
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When we moved from WI to AZ, we simply went to the school on the last day (although the teachers knew well in advance) and told them we were withdrawing our children because we were moving.  They did want to know what school they would be going to which was easy to find on the internet.  Make sure you get their fax number because the new school will want all the school records and it's easier to just have one school fax them directly to the other.  Also, when switching states, we found it easier to get a printout of the kids' vaccination records directly from the doctor's office.  You'll also need the birth certificate handy too.

Aamy
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You go to his old school they will give you a form to fill out, you fill it out and they will transfer the info. 

mrssummerlin
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Thank you all for the super speedy replies. :)

Glad to hear that it's not as hard as everyone around here was making it out to be.
Aamy
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mrssummerlin: Thank you all for the super speedy replies. :) Glad to hear that it's not as hard as everyone around here was making it out to be.

Its not. My DD finished up school down in GA, and i walked into the office on the last day, filled out the form, and they do it all on line now. When i was a kid my parents got a packet of papers that we had to take to the new school. Just make sure you have the name and phone number of the new school. 

Come see us The TWiP Family !!!! 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It should be pretty simple. Go to her current school and request her records. Then when you get to your new place, find which school you're zoned for, go there with the records (and you'll need her immunization record too) and say you need to enroll your daughter. Depending on the school she'll start the next day or the day after that.

I've done it several times now it's easy. You can have the new school request the records from the old one, but I find it's easier on the new school if you just have them. Less chance of  shenanigans occurring.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:46 PM
A lot of schools may accept whatever papers a parent/guardian provides but I'm very certain they will still get official copies directly from the school.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

It should be pretty simple. Go to her current school and request her records. Then when you get to your new place, find which school you're zoned for, go there with the records (and you'll need her immunization record too) and say you need to enroll your daughter. Depending on the school she'll start the next day or the day after that.

I've done it several times now it's easy. You can have the new school request the records from the old one, but I find it's easier on the new school if you just have them. Less chance of  shenanigans occurring.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:46 PM
A lot of schools may accept whatever papers a parent/guardian provides but I'm very certain they will still get official copies directly from the school.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

NicoleBrower
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM

In some schools you simply go to your old school and tell them you want to transfer her and they take care of the paper work.

Hope this helps

Nicole Brower
Proud Mommy of 2 Awesome Girls
Happily Married
Public School Teacher
Childrens Book Author
My Website NicoleBrowerBooks.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)