Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i keep her home?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
I think my dd is getting a stye. Should i keep her home for that? I know they are contagious but I'm not sure it's keeping her home worthy
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LittleRed80
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM
No. It's more contagious for things like sharing makeup. I've had them before and they can sure make you feel miserable, though. I always use a warm compress as often as I can and I got a special eyedrop.
anotherandree
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't unless it was really bothering her.

It says that they are contagious but not so much if she keeps her hands washed (and to herself) and doesn't share towels, pillowcases, and such.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/styes.htm

This WebMD article says that they are not contagious in that you cannot "catch" it from someone like you would a cold, or even by simple contact.

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1200084/are-styes-contagious

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

That really isn't a reason to stay home, unless she is in pain.  Like others have said, it isn't contagious like a cold.  My mother gets them all of the time, yet I have never had one.

Not to mention, where do you live that your child isn't in school for the day already?  Hawaii?  It would already be late morning on the West Coast.

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM
Thanks ladies. I didn't think it was keep home worthy just wanted to confirm with others. :)
MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Its not contagous, just a little uncomfortable. its nothing to keep her out of schoo over. Just apply a warm compress a few times a day. it should go away on its in a couple days.

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM
They are contagious

Quoting MommyHuman:

Its not contagous, just a little uncomfortable. its nothing to keep her out of schoo over. Just apply a warm compress a few times a day. it should go away on its in a couple days.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah I wouldn't keep her home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)