Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contacts for kids

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM
  • 18 Replies
What age did your child get contacts? If you happen to work with a eye dr when do they allow it?

We have an appt with the eye dr in February and we are going to talk about contacts for my 8 year old. He's responsible and he needs them.

His eyesight is really bad and he is a wrestler. He can't wear his glasses on the mat so he has to guess what the kid is doing next. He is also wanting to wrestle year round.

Hes also a swimmer and he can't see under water with his goggles on. We can't afford three types of glasses and not to mention how expensive the goggles and sports glasses cost. Especially with him wanting to play baseball too.
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:13 AM

My cousin got contacts when he was 3  if memory serves, he was getting into competitive snowboarding and couldn't fiddle with glasses on the slopes (for obvious reasons).

There isn't technically an age limit in either direction for  them it's just whenever the person feels they need them.

lizfnf
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Make sure you stress hand washing and keep a ton on hand. You'll probably have to supervise for a bit. I would only let him wear them for sporting events. Wearing contacts for too many hours each day can lead to the eyes creating their own blood vessels to get the oxygen they need that contacts block. I know this not to be an old wives tale since I actually went through it and had to give up contacts for a number of years. Good luck to him!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Neither of my boys have them yet, but my dh and I both wear them and have had them for many years.  Back when we got them, you had to be well into your teen years at least for the eye docs around here.  My oldest is 14 and has no desire to get them.  He wears sport glasses when he plays tennis and his regular glasses work for golf.  My youngest is 11 and just got glasses a year ago, so he is still enjoying wearing them.

I don't know if I'd get them for a child younger than 10 though since it requires a lot of responsibility.  Not to mention that contacts aren't cheap either.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM
I have contacts and so does my husband. :-) we aren't worried about that part of it

Quoting lizfnf: Make sure you stress hand washing and keep a ton on hand. You'll probably have to supervise for a bit. I would only let him wear them for sporting events. Wearing contacts for too many hours each day can lead to the eyes creating their own blood vessels to get the oxygen they need that contacts block. I know this not to be an old wives tale since I actually went through it and had to give up contacts for a number of years. Good luck to him!
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Our eye doctor said when the parents think the kids are mature enough...he said some 8 year olds are mature enough, some 15 year olds are not. DS wanted contacts last year (13) but could not get them in. After 2 weeks, he gave up. He doesn't mind his glasses so to have or not have them wasn't a big deal to him. He also has goggles for sports but he can wear the same pair for all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM

My son got them at 10. He got them for soccer, but wears them all the time.  He didn't want to wear the sports goggles, so we let him get contacts.

At our eye doctor, the kids have to show that they can take them in and out by themselves.  He had to take them in and out 2 times at the eye doctors before they would let him take them home.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Our eye dr does that too. Even with adults. Lol

Quoting jlmomto2:

My son got them at 10. He got them for soccer, but wears them all the time.  He didn't want to wear the sports goggles, so we let him get contacts.

At our eye doctor, the kids have to show that they can take them in and out by themselves.  He had to take them in and out 2 times at the eye doctors before they would let him take them home.

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM

You might ask your eye doctor about the Asian contacts.

From what I understand, most Asian kids wear contacts at night and it reshapes their eyes so they don't need glasses during the day.  THe technique shas been arounds for decades and is widespread in Asia, but is only just becoming avaialbe in the US.

Our DS has terrible eyes and the eye doctor through he's be a good candidate for the Asian contacts.  Unfortunately he can't handle putting something in his eyes at all. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM

None of my kids have contacts, but ds2 has a friend who got contacts in 1st gr. She was having trouble finding glasses that were comfortable and didn't slide down her nose all the time, so her parents went the contacts route.

LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM
My mom's eyes were damaged by wearing her contacts too long. Her eyes were not getting oxygen they need. I'd be very weary of this advice.

Quoting JanetteA:

You might ask your eye doctor about the Asian contacts.

From what I understand, most Asian kids wear contacts at night and it reshapes their eyes so they don't need glasses during the day.  THe technique shas been arounds for decades and is widespread in Asia, but is only just becoming avaialbe in the US.

Our DS has terrible eyes and the eye doctor through he's be a good candidate for the Asian contacts.  Unfortunately he can't handle putting something in his eyes at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)