Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helping

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this
Your child out. Do you help and add learning things to their day and homework for them to learn more? For any grade. My daughter is in kindergarten and since she has started they haven't given her any homework so I have came up with some things to help her.

And now she is above grade level.
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Are you looking for kudos?  You are doing your job.

Most Kinder program function at a minimal level so it is no surprise that a student who comes in knowing the basics needs support at home to keep learinng fun and interesting.

mama2b100808
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually no! I was seeing if others was doing the same thing and see if I could add different things to the stuff I am doing. I know I am doing my job. I have been doing it for 6 years.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Are you looking for kudos?  You are doing your job.

Most Kinder program function at a minimal level so it is no surprise that a student who comes in knowing the basics needs support at home to keep learinng fun and interesting.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't help with homework since it is something that they should know how to do already.  Neither of my boys had homework in kindergarten and our elementary only permits homework Mon-Thur and not over any breaks.  Supplemental learning is all around you and takes no effort what so ever.  Just having your child help prepare a meal is a math, reading, and science lesson at the very least.  Think of all of the lessons involved in grocery shopping.  I am the mom who likes to make learning fun and have the kids learn without realizing it.  So I am not the woman to talk to regarding "educational" websites or worksheets/workbooks since I am not a fan.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM

This, every single bit of it!  Most of the things I "work" with my kids have been learning by doing.  Cooking is a big one for us.  We live in a rural area and do nature walks.  Learn and get exercise all in one.  Grocery shopping is learning about money, budgeting, finding the best value etc.  Playing games such as Scrabble and Yahtzee help with spelling and math.  I am also not a fan or worksheets.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't help with homework since it is something that they should know how to do already.  Neither of my boys had homework in kindergarten and our elementary only permits homework Mon-Thur and not over any breaks.  Supplemental learning is all around you and takes no effort what so ever.  Just having your child help prepare a meal is a math, reading, and science lesson at the very least.  Think of all of the lessons involved in grocery shopping.  I am the mom who likes to make learning fun and have the kids learn without realizing it.  So I am not the woman to talk to regarding "educational" websites or worksheets/workbooks since I am not a fan.

mama2b100808
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM
Thank you! I don't want her just sitting down doing worksheets. I want to make it fun and not boring

Quoting steelcrazy:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never given extra "homework" unless they have asked for it. Dd liked to play school and would ask me to give her math problems to do, so I would. They played on http://www.coolmath-games.com/ on their own b/c they had been having fun on it at school and wanted to do more. That's about the extent of it.

They have helped w/ cooking, but I don't see that as additional homework. I see it as teaching them a life skill. Same w/ grocery shopping.

The boys learned about various things for Cub Scouts, but it's been b/c they wanted to, not b/c I forced them. That continues into Boy Scouts as they choose which merit badges they want to earn. Same goes for dd and Girl Scouts.

mama2b100808
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Thank you so much! I didn't know about that site. My daughter is on abcmouse.com pretty much every day. 

Quoting wakymom:

I've never given extra "homework" unless they have asked for it. Dd liked to play school and would ask me to give her math problems to do, so I would. They played on http://www.coolmath-games.com/ on their own b/c they had been having fun on it at school and wanted to do more. That's about the extent of it.

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM

My dd is in K and has homework 2 night a week. Other than reading with her every night, I don't push extra homework on her. We have those workbooks with grade level work and stuff, but unless she ask to do it I'm not going to push it on her. She is a good kid, works hard and at the end of the day she deserves to unwind too. She is above grade level across the board, and letting her be a kid is not going to ruin that. In fact I think pushing too much extra homework on kids too early is just going to make them hate school and learning and cause anxiety problem later from having oarents who pushing too hard.

anotherandree
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Can't help but agree!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Yes we do. I help them with work books, crafts, we bake together, garden together and other things to help them learn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)