Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Language Disorder?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM
  • 15 Replies
My five year old was just diagnosed with expressive language disorder. Any other kids going through therapy? I'd like to know what to expect and what I can do at home with him.

Update: so thankful for all the replies. A little more details. He is currently in prekindergarten. His articulate development is where it should be, he can pronounce all his words perfectly. Knows the whole alphabet and can count to 100. He can tell you what's the first letter of a word by sounding it out. He was screened at the school. I also screened him with a private speech language therapist. He has a difficult time telling you a whole story and when he can't expresses what he truly wants to say he changes the subject and re-repeats other phrases. He has an IEP and starts therapy at his school this week. At home each night we sit with a book, I read a page and ask him about what I read and what he sees. He has a difficult time expressing it but tries his best. He is involved in soccer and tball, and goes to school full time.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:24 PM

My youngest sister was diagnosed with that when she was a kid.  She was always frustrated with us because we didn't understand what she was trying to say.  It wasn't that we couldn't understand her speech.  It was that she didn't use the right words to fully express herself.  She did well enough in school to earn two masters degrees, though.  She's 40 now and still gets angry every now and then when we don't "get" her.  She has ADHD, too, and talks so quickly and excessively that she reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo.

I hope you find the help that your son needs.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:05 PM

The therapist will pin point the areas of difficulty and give him instruction on skills most kids pick up just through experience with language. 

It's great that he's getting help now. Interventions and instruction can do wonders. 

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM

One thing the school people will not tell you.  If your child has any kind of a language delay at age 5 (kindergarten), he/she has about a 50% chance of reading issues/dyslexia.  If your child has SEVERE unreoslved language issues at that age (like mine did), he/she has close to a 100% chance of reading issues/dyslexia.

If you think your kid has reading issues but the the K teacher tells you i's "developmental" or that "kids just get it when they are ready," don't buy it.  Language disorders put kids at EXTREMELY high risk for reading issues, and they are NOT developmental!  Insist on testing and insist on intervention if you need to.  One of the many Orton-Gillingham (sensory-based) reading curriculums usually work best.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:48 PM

That is most likely Expressive processing language disorder.   He should be receiving a 504 Plan and receiving speech/language therapy as well as extended time for tests/other location and if he fails a test receive a private teacher at school.  I have this disorder too as an adult.  I suggest as a parent to make sure he rereads what he writes to correct any mistakes.  When he speeks he should take his time and think about what he is going to say before he says it.

lexasmommy411
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd (2) has an expressive language delay, after she was diagnosed, they did a follow up to determine her areas of difficulty and set goals for her to work towards in therapy, and gave us ideas and resources we could use at home to help her. She's come a long way in just 8 months, the most important part is building on what they are doing in therapy, give him plenty of oppurtunities to express himself. We try to get our dd out as much as possible, to expose her to as many different things as possible. They have been working in therapy on animal names and sounds, so we visited an aquarium and wildlife sanctuary with her. Since he's older, it may be a good time to get him involved in an activity, where he can meet other kids, and learn a new skill. We started toddler gymanastics, and its given my dd more confidence, she plays more with other kids now, and has started to learn positional words, like up, down, over, under, which seem to be hard for her to comprehend. 

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Wow...lots of alarming replies here.  I teach 3 and 4 year olds.  I average 1 kid out of every 8 who receives speech therapy.  80% of them are boys.  The vast majority have no other areas of concern and are discharged from speech before finishing the primary grades. 

Update after 4-6 months of therapy and let us know how he's doing .

PixiePurFect
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 3:33 PM
My son is 6. He was diagnosed at 3 years old with a severe articulation delay, severe receptive language delay, and a severe expressive language delay. He immediate received an IEP and began services from his SLP.

His articulation delay is almost caught up. He will likely be exited next year from services for his language delay. It has taken 3 years, but it works.
TristansMom440
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM

My son was dx'd with an expressive & receptive language delay when he was 3 yrs old.  We started ST right away.  Have your child evaluated through school system and they will most likely will do an IEP for speech.  My ds gets speech services through the school system and has been since his dx.  I would say he is about 90% better than he was before.

squeekers
by on Feb. 2, 2015 at 2:19 AM

DD learned ASL baby sign before she ever spoke. Her first signed word was 'fish', because her play pen was an aquatic theme.

Bluecalm
by Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 8:47 AM

My son was diagnosed with a severe language disorder when he was 5. He's 7 and his articulation is almost normal, his receptive language is just mildly delayed now and his expressive language is moderately delayed. He reads well and has excellent phonics skills. He has private speech therapy twice a week. I put him on Reading Eggs and then Reading Kingdom and both helped build his listening skills as well as his reading. Also we go to a lot of activities and events to enrich his language.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)