• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She wanted to see what?!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:55 PM
  • 21 Replies

So, my DD has been developing lately. Breasts, pubic hair, and I'm just waiting for the menstrul cycle shoe to drop. 

The other evening we were both changing clothes in our own rooms and she came over to my room and asked to see what my pubic hairs looked like! I was kind of shocked at the request. I didn't show her, with the explaination that they were my privates and I didn't want her to see them.

I've been talking with her about how the things she's going through are normal and perfectly OK. She wants to shave her hairs all over her body and I told her it's not OK for her to do that yet.

I'm wondering if maybe I should let her see me naked after all, so I can prove to her that it's ok and normal to be hairy. I only shave my legs and underarms.

What would you say and do?

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I would show her pictures, since I have bare floors.

mama2b100808
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:02 PM
I wouldn't showy daughter my body at any age.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm taking the opposite side on this one. My dd is 9 and not really developing yet, but I still let her see me naked. I'll change in front of her, and she's been in the bathroom while I've been in the shower.

She knows that while I let her see me naked, it is not ok for her to see dh or her brothers, nor is it ok for them to see her.

I want her to be comfortable w/ her body as she grows and changes, and the best way I know to do that is for her to see me being at least comfortable enough to let my daughter see what changes are coming her way. (Did that make any sense?)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:41 PM

IDK if I would be comfortable showing off my privates to a dd.  I only have boys though, so I haven't gotten nekkid in front of my kids in a very long time.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM

My dd is 10 1/2, ds 11 1/2, and neither is hitting puberty, that I've noticed. My kiddos see me in the tub, as I have them. Not on purpose, just if we need to ask a question, use the restroom, etc. my kids have made no remarks, as I guess they feel our bodies are non issues. 

No, they don't show others their private areas. They know and close doors.

My mom never let me see her or my dad naked. My sis, both of us are the same with being comfy showing our bodies to each other. 

Quoting wakymom:

I'm taking the opposite side on this one. My dd is 9 and not really developing yet, but I still let her see me naked. I'll change in front of her, and she's been in the bathroom while I've been in the shower.

She knows that while I let her see me naked, it is not ok for her to see dh or her brothers, nor is it ok for them to see her.

I want her to be comfortable w/ her body as she grows and changes, and the best way I know to do that is for her to see me being at least comfortable enough to let my daughter see what changes are coming her way. (Did that make any sense?)

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

IDK if I would be comfortable showing off my privates to a dd.  I only have boys though, so I haven't gotten nekkid in front of my kids in a very long time.

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 2:29 AM
My dd is only 5 but my oldest ds is 8 and they both still see me when I'm in the bath if they come in for some reason. I just don't make a big issue out of it. I don't change in front of them or purposely get naked in front of them but I don't freak out if it happens. I cover myself a bit though. They see my breasts constantly because I'm nursing their baby brother.

Asking me flat out to check me out is different though. I wouldn't want my dd to feel shameful but she would also have to know boundaries. Just keep talking to her, OP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 6:51 AM
My mom only had girls and she never hid being naked. We shared a bathroom (my dad had his own the master bath only had a shower and she preferred a bath plus because by a lefty the set up in that bath was easier for her to sit on the John and roll her hair) now that she is getting older and has shoulder surgery and breat surgery she has often needed my sister or I or my neice help Her with hygene issues. From my mom I learbed er don't all look like the girls in magazines but that's fine.

I only have boys so no they don't see me naked but it's hard with one bathroom. Dh doesn't mind if they see him in.

In think curiosity is natural but I'm not sure how I would react if she soecicslly ssk me then again I think if it was opposite and I had girls not boys they probably would have seen me naked enough by now.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:55 AM
I don't see the big deal in maybe showing her at least some of the area closest to your belly button. It's not like you have to get naked and spread eagle on the bed for her to see the full Monty. 😉
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM
I guess I don't really have this problem because my kids have been busting in on me in the bathroom since they were little. I have two girls and they just can't seem to grasp the "knock before opening a door" concept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)