Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st Grader Son Wears Glasses - What to do for Recess?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM
  • 58 Replies

My 1st grader son wears glasses and is having a hard time finding kids to play with during recess because most of the boys play sports activities which he says he can't do since he wears glasses. I told him he can wear his sports glasses (which he wears during soccer practice) but he says he doesn't want to wear those. His eyesight is not great in one eye so I'm not sure if removing the glasses completely will work. And I feel keeping the glasses on while playing sports (even during recess) is asking for trouble.

What should I do about this? What have others done about recess with sons who wear glasses?

Thanks!

-D

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyLehr
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Mobile Photo

Our kids have straps like these. they keep them on their glasses at all times.

Our kids are 6 (in 1st grade) and 4 ( will start kindergarten in the fall)
Linagma03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My girl wears glasses all the time even outside at recess and she plays basketball, football and all other kinds of things. We have never had a problem with her and her glasses. She has broken them but only because of the way that she takes them off. As long as the glasses fit properly and don't come off really easily he should be fine for recess unless he is wrestling around on the ground type of play. 

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:48 AM
My son wears his glasses all the time playing with no issues. He is a first grader too.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds2 just wears his out to recess, and he always has, even in 1st gr. Yes, he has broken a few pairs, but it has not necessarily been b/c of what or how he was playing at recess (one time he took them off outside and put them in his pocket; they fell out and he stepped on them). He's in 5th gr now and his glasses are surviving him and his friends playing tackle football and soccer at recess.

If you are really worried about it, you can ask his teacher to remind him to leave his glasses on his desk before they go out to recess. Ds2 and ds1 sometimes chose to do that when they first got them. Ds2 has better vision in one eye than the other, and it did not seem to bother him at all to go w/o his glasses for 30 mins.

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM
It is kinda his fault if he won't wear the other glasses he has. Taking them on and off isn't good for him
mewebb82
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:46 AM
My older 2 kids just wear their glasses. We've dealt with a few broken pairs, but none were broken at recess.
MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:10 AM

I had to wear glasses in 1st grade and it was never an issue for me playing with the other kids. As long as balls do not fly directly at his face, he will be fine. If he has the polycarbonate lenses those things can really take a beating if they did fall off his face, and since they are made of hard plastic there is no risk of eye damge if he accidentially got hit. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Both of my boys wear glasses all of the time, even during recess and PE.  Neither have ever had any problems doing so.  IMO recess and PE are completely different than sports practice and games.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM
MINE WERE EM ALL TIME . ITS KINDA NOT GOOD IDEA TO NOT WEAR EM .KIDS NEED SEE IF THE BAll is coming to him.
JanetJanMom
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:40 AM
I don't know what you should do, but this is my experience…
I had two daughters with poor vision, they had to wear glasses or they couldn't see. They were bullied and teased because of glasses. Some kids can be mean. I got them sports glasses that look like racquetball glasses… So that they could waterski and do their gymnasticsand to this day they are still mortified that I had done that. They hated the sports glasses. But I have seen other kids even recently wearing sports glasses so that was just my girls.maybe show pictures of sports figures who are professionals who are wearing the sports glasses on the basketball courts… That could give your son confidence. Mind you, they could not have seen the boat or the water in front of them and they could not have seen the balance beam or the mat for gymnastics. The best thing we ever did was get contact lenses as soon as the kids were old enough. My oldest daughter got them first and was so happy. She was 10 and able to put them on and remove them herself. My younger daughter was 7.5 and could not manage this, but the eye doctor allowed us to try. I put them in her eyeseach day. She was thrilled! So, I think it just really depends on what your son wants to do. The other thing is that Walmart has an amazing replacement insurance glasses policy. So, maybe get him a pair there. And if they break at recess , the insurance will replace them. That way he can just go be a boy outside at recess. I wore glasses too, and my dad told me daily how beautiful I was with my glasses. I got teased on a regular basis ... You would think glasses would be an acceptable thing these days...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)