Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opting Out of PARCC Testing

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM
  • 47 Replies

My social media has been filled with articles  about why I as a parent should opt my child out of PARCC testing. PARCC stands for Partnership of Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers.  Apparently this is offered in 12 states and DC. The purpose is to help teachers customize learning to meet their students needs.

I've never had issues with state tests. Neither of my girls have ever expressed anxiety over them. However last night my dd's school principal posted on the school group that there is no opt out option. Which upset a lot of parents. 

Since I don't have an issue with my girls testing I don't really comprehend why other parents would want to opt out. Are there any parents in here opting out or would like to opt out of state tests? Why or why not?

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM

I have mixed feelings on state testing.  I feel it's needed to monitor and gauge where students are at when meeting their minimum skills for their grade level.  That being said I do not agree with the "high stakes" requirements they attach to them.  Things such as whether or not the student moves on the next grade level (this is the case for schools in our state for 5th, 8th and high school), if they get to take electives or are pushed into remedial/tutorial classes, curriculium based around prepping them to take a test and the fear mongering some (NOT all) teachers or administrators use to push the kids to perform well on said tests.  I am completely not impressed with the way Texas handles their state testing but there is a push back from teachers and parents and we are making some headway in getting things to change.  Originally they were requiring graduating high school students to pass and complete 15 state tests to get their diplomas.  That number has now dropped to five.  All that being said, my children have always scored advanced or commended on all their state tests.  All I have ever told my kids was just passed the stupid test and move one.  No colleges I am aware of consider or even look at those state tests (SAT and ACT yes of course) and a future employer would care less if you just passed or got the top score.  I feel like they are mostly a waste of limited and valuable resources that could be used elsewhere. 

Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I was talking with my 13 year old this morning about the PARCC tests since today is the kick off for 8th grade. She's in 7th and will do hers next week. I asked her if she felt any anxiety or worry over them and she said no. She is actually looking forward to taking the test because last week and this week they  have themed days and have been doing fun stuff and having treats during test prep. She said after testing they are going to have an ice cream party.

I think the approach that the school's take makes a huge difference. Our superintendent last year said he would not let a test define the potential of our students.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I have mixed feelings on state testing.  I feel it's needed to monitor and gauge where students are at when meeting their minimum skills for their grade level.  That being said I do not agree with the "high stakes" requirements they attach to them.  Things such as whether or not the student moves on the next grade level (this is the case for schools in our state for 5th, 8th and high school), if they get to take electives or are pushed into remedial/tutorial classes, curriculium based around prepping them to take a test and the fear mongering some (NOT all) teachers or administrators use to push the kids to perform well on said tests.  I am completely not impressed with the way Texas handles their state testing but there is a push back from teachers and parents and we are making some headway in getting things to change.  Originally they were requiring graduating high school students to pass and complete 15 state tests to get their diplomas.  That number has now dropped to five.  All that being said, my children have always scored advanced or commended on all their state tests.  All I have ever told my kids was just passed the stupid test and move one.  No colleges I am aware of consider or even look at those state tests (SAT and ACT yes of course) and a future employer would care less if you just passed or got the top score.  I feel like they are mostly a waste of limited and valuable resources that could be used elsewhere. 

matofour
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM
You can't opt out but you can refuse.
We refuse. Too many reasons to list.
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard of those tests.  I hate that they're shoving more testing on the kids when it is the teachers who should be tested.  

Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Can you try and give a brief summary? Every parent I've spoken too says they believe the tests cause unesscary stress and anxiety. What are a few of the other reasons?

Quoting matofour: You can't opt out but you can refuse. We refuse. Too many reasons to list.

matofour
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:20 AM
The test is set up for failure.
60% of kids will fail.
The test is two to three grade levels about the grade taking it.
It's a timed test where typing your answers are timed as well, yet there's not a single typing class taught at our school. Which means, especially you her kids will never finish their answers.
They are hiring people off Craigslist to grade the tests.

The test will be used against teachers in their assessments. Totally unfair. How about the teachers who teach inclusion (where those kids will naturally score lower)
All students will be giving the same test, and obviously those with special needs will perform poorly, because these tests are above them.
There are entire cities, towns, districts refusing to give the test (I believe Chicago is one of them).

Quoting Sydel:

Can you try and give a brief summary? Every parent I've spoken too says they believe the tests cause unesscary stress and anxiety. What are a few of the other reasons?

Quoting matofour: You can't opt out but you can refuse.
We refuse. Too many reasons to list.

eztwins
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this
We are in a private catholic school but I have been following this.

I don't agree with standardized testing. I think it's a waste of instructional time.

I don't believe children are standard beings.

I don't agree with these tests basically disregarding the year. One test should not determine promotion or graduation. Why give grades they are irrelevant than.

I don't agree with this being the yard stick for teacher evaluation and retention.

I don't believe in federal government or too much state involvement in education. I believe it should be bottom up.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM
I'm not opting out, I didn't know it was an option. The schools (my boys are in elementary, middle, and high school) have been telling us since last year about the new test. This is the first year, previous years it was a different test and called something different. I had IEP meetings recently for my boys and they will have the necessary acomadations for the test. It never occurred to me for them not to take the test, but I'm not an anti state testing parent.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM
According to my dd's teacher you can't opt out. She said a lot of the articles that have been floating around saying you can are incorrect and she directed the parents to the Ohio Schools website. There were a group of moms talking about pulling their kids out of school the week of the tests. Which to me seems extreme. Especially since the kids have been prepping for almost two weeks. Why allow your child to do the prep but not take the test?
Quoting diaperstodating: I'm not opting out, I didn't know it was an option. The schools (my boys are in elementary, middle, and high school) have been telling us since last year about the new test. This is the first year, previous years it was a different test and called something different. I had IEP meetings recently for my boys and they will have the necessary acomadations for the test. It never occurred to me for them not to take the test, but I'm not an anti state testing parent.
eztwins
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM
I also think the name is bullshit. I don't believe learning and knowledge is for college and career readiness. It's a vital need of humans regardless of end result. It implies we are just churning out good little worker bees for the State! I want my kids to be more than good little workers, I want them to be creative, wonderers, questioners, explores, truth seekers, I want them to crave knowledge not for what it can get them but because knowing things is enlightening.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)