Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sending kids in... car spin off

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM
  • 26 Replies

If you will not leave a kid in the car, what age would you send a child into a store for an item or items?

*ETA: I am still at a loss how one is so much different from the other. Both requie your child to be out of your direction and sight for the same, or at least a similar, amount of time. Why is there so much drama against leaving elementary and jr high aged kids in a car but not sending them shopping alone?

By time I was 10, I was going on my skates or bike around the busy city block and getting groceries. If a kid is capable of that, why can't they be left alone in the car for 5-10 min?

I start teaching the kids to shop in early elementary school and we use it as both math and nutrition. By 11yo, they are making menus and will get items for their meal while I shop for the family groceries. Now, all three walk over to the corner store and get what they need /want.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4wildbeasts
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM
I have five kids aged 9,8,5,4, and 1 and a husband in the military. Taking all those kids in everywhere is a huge pain. If I have a grocery list of ten or less items then I send my 8 and 9 year old in while I wait in the car with the younger ones.
plprincess78
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I've been leaving my kids in the car alone for the past couple years.  They are 10 and almost 8 at this point.  I started letting the 10 yr old go into the store for things if I know it won't be a lot of stuff about 6 months ago.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That isn't an issue/option for us since there isn't a store within walking/biking distance.  Another of the joys of country living, you have to drive to the store, so most of the time my kids choose to stay home instead of making a quick run to the store.  If they need something at the store, they let me know and either I pick it up the next time that I'm at the store or they go along with me the next time that I go.  We don't just run to the store for random things as it is a major PITA.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM

I TOTALLY get that! We are a 15 minute drive from town.

However, there is a corner gas station and small store 1/4 mile away and within sight of the house. There is an open field between it and us.

When we lived in town,we lived in a serious part of the ghetto.  I didn't allow the boys to go the 1/2 mile to the store alone until my oldest was 14yo and he had to take DS2 with him.

Quoting steelcrazy:

That isn't an issue/option for us since there isn't a store within walking/biking distance.  Another of the joys of country living, you have to drive to the store, so most of the time my kids choose to stay home instead of making a quick run to the store.  If they need something at the store, they let me know and either I pick it up the next time that I'm at the store or they go along with me the next time that I go.  We don't just run to the store for random things as it is a major PITA.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM

The closest store is 11 miles, which is actually pretty close for the country.  lol  We have a gas station about 3 miles away, but they only have gas, sodas, tobacco products, and fishing bait.  Great combo.  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

However, there is a corner gas station and small store 1/4 mile away and within sight of the house. There is an open field between it and us.

When we lived in town,we lived in a serious part of the ghetto.  I didn't allow the boys to go the 1/2 mile to the store alone until my oldest was 14yo and he had to take DS2 with him.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:24 PM

The BEST gass station I have ever seen was in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. There was not a town for MILES in either direction, They had a gun shop, bait n tackle rentals, and pizza place inside.

What more does a person need?

Quoting steelcrazy:

The closest store is 11 miles, which is actually pretty close for the country.  lol  We have a gas station about 3 miles away, but they only have gas, sodas, tobacco products, and fishing bait.  Great combo.  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting steelcrazy:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM

That is the bestest gas station ever!  I know of quite a few people who could happily live in that gas station for years on end.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

The BEST gass station I have ever seen was in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. There was not a town for MILES in either direction, They had a gun shop, bait n tackle rentals, and pizza place inside.

What more does a person need?

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM

My mom has been sending my 13 year old to the corner store for her since she was about 3-4th grade. When I take my 7 year old into a store I give her the list and she helps me fill up the cart. She checks prices and sizes and she likes to scan and pay. I imagine my mom will probably start sending her to the store in a few years. 

I see little kids go into our local CVS during the summer as young as 6-7 and buy their own drinks and ice cream. The CVS is directly across the street from a park/splash pad.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM

This is us too.  We live 8 miles from the nearest store.  As far as an age I would let my kids run into store for me it really depends on the child.  My oldest could do it at 8-9yrs old no problem.  She is very independent.  My middle DD was and still is quite shy and wouldn't want to but would go with her older sister.  DS8 would probably do it with encouragement but I have a feeling in another couple of years he would have no problem with it.  That all being said the town closest to us is a smaller country town with a ton of people we know so it isn't like sending them into a strange store in a large city.

Quoting steelcrazy:

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM

By the time I was 5 or 6 I would go into the gas station and pay for the gas. Here I would do that about 7 or 8. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)