Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Darn weather!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids have had one day of school since last Thursday. Friday was pt conferences and Monday was President's day but they were off yesterday, had school today and are now off Thurs and Fri and possibly Mon and who knows how many more days next week if the forecast holds. :( We are going to be somewhere near 6-7 or more weather days. We have 11 days built in but still those are days they aren't learning. I can't even let them play outside because the windchills are going to range from -19 to -38 an then we're set for 5-9 more inches of snow this weekend. :( There isn't much point to this other than a vent. I love them and enjoy them being home but I also know they're missing out on instruction time. 

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Completely not the answer you are looking for but this is one of many reasons we love homeschooling! Weather or sickness or weekends..doesn't matter :)
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Yeah, I do miss that about homeschooling. The kids love their school though and we moved much closer last month.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Completely not the answer you are looking for but this is one of many reasons we love homeschooling! Weather or sickness or weekends..doesn't matter :)

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM

I hear ya. Our school is wishy washy, too. We get a call that they're closed, then we get a call that they've switched to two hour delay. Then they call back, they closed. Oops, they called back, switched back to a two hour delay. Am I schlupping the half mile to the bus stop in 4 degree weather or not?! Sheesh.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:24 PM

In the last 3 weeks we have had 8 snow days and now we are on school vacation. Now I'm hearing another potential storm brewing this weekend just in time for school to start back up. We have 4 more days we can add on to school year and then they have to consider losing April vacation, school on Saturdays or extended days. Most of the state has been nearly crippled with the snow. Roofs are starting to collapse and traffic is a nightmare because all the roads are so narrow and you can't see over the snow banks at end of streets it took me over 2 hour my 30 min commute last night and another 90 min this morning. Please send our next storm anyplace out we literally have no place for it go!!!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM

We've only had 1 snow day so far (and technically it was an ice day), but have  had 2-3 2-hr delays. I'm seriously wondering about tomorrow, though- our low tonight is to be -7* w/ a wind chill of -29*. By the time ds1 and ds2 head out to the bus, the wind chill is to be around -25*, and stay below 0* all day.

I admit that I like cold weather, but that is too cold even for me!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM

My kids are home tomorrow too due to the sub-zero temps.  Although they have only missed one other day thus far.  

At this point, I'm listening to Jimmy Buffet and dreaming of a tropical island.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM

We go off of hours so they can add so many minutes to each day, if necessary. We have, at least, 11 extra days worth of hours built in though so we're okay for now. It is the lost learning that sucks. I mean we still learn other things and practice skills at home but they miss their friends and teachers even. DD would live at school of she could.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM
If your main gripe is missing out on learning time use that to teach them something new! Do some projects, etc. Like freezing bubbles, boiling water turn to snow, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't imagine. It must suck to be stuck inside with it being so cold and crazy kids. Wishing you some warm sun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)