Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: My son is in middle school and is an honors...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM
  • 29 Replies

My son is in middle school and is an honors student. The music instructor scheduled a dress rehearsal for Chorus in conflict with my son's PE class where he was getting a test. He wanted the score to see if he could get an A to keep up honors. Do you think he should have been in this position?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM
No, tests come first...
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have encouraged my child to take the test instead of going to rehearsal.  Regardless of honor roll, tests should always come first.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

The music teacher should not have scheduled a rehearsal during school hrs. It was very unfair of him/her to put students in that position. My kid would have been taking the test instead of going to rehearsal.

At ds2's middle school, all rehearsals, regular and dress, for concerts and plays, are held after school so the kids do not miss any class time.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM

No. I'm surprised a teacher can schedule something during the day outside of their normal class time.

Has your son talked to both teachers to see what can be worked out? Can the PE teacher give him the test at another time, or the music teacher excuse him from the dress rehearsal?

mom4educsuccess
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Thanks so much for your reply and that is how I felt, too.

My son went to to take the test (which was the last one for the term in PE) and missed the dress rehearsal I thought he was being responsible.. He then got a "o" for the dress rehearsal in Chorus. That then brought his score down to a B- and he was posting 90's in Chorus as he is an avid singer. He was getting a B in PE and thought the last score he received might help him to get an A- to keep up his high honors. He chose the test because he felt it was a TEST and he should be there. He could be excused from the test but they did not allow any makeups in PE. He would have no ability to get that last score and maybe get an A-. 

On top of it, we didn't even know the dress rehearsal was being graded or we would have contacted the teacher.

My son is in sixth grade so here it is the first year of middle school. He went to his Chorus teacher to explain he was having a test but she was upset that he was missing dress rehearsal. 

I don't know why they don't offer a kid the opportunity to make up a test in PE if they cross-schedule with Chorus? Or why a Chorus teacher must cross-schedule to do a dress rehearsal? Or why after half a year of grading, a teacher can give a student a 0 for a missed dress rehearsal when they were trying to take a previously scheduled test in another class, thus affecting his ability for the rest of the year to be a high honors student.

Has anyone been in this position or have any more thoughts? I want to take this up with the principal.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this

I would be emailing the chorus teacher, and copying your ds's guidance counselor, about it. Explain about the PE test that was scheduled before the dress rehearsal was, and that your ds did not know the rehearsal was part of his chorus grade. Ask if there is any extra credit he can do (ds1 was able to get some extra credit in orchestra once by doing a report on a composer).

Let the guidance counselor decide if the principal needs to be brought in on this or not.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM

You have tests in pe????  Was it during gym time? Music and gym are both part of the exploratory routation so fall on different days. If you play an instrument it's a separate and usually after school or during a study time so you aren't missing class time. I would talk to school about the scheduling issue. Kids shouldn't be put in that position by the school.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with this.  For me it isn't even so much about the grade, since I don't put much emphasis on getting all A's, but a child shouldn't be put in a position like that.  Dress rehearsal should have happened during regularly scheduled chorus class or after school.

Quoting wakymom:

I would be emailing the chorus teacher, and copying your ds's guidance counselor, about it. Explain about the PE test that was scheduled before the dress rehearsal was, and that your ds did not know the rehearsal was part of his chorus grade. Ask if there is any extra credit he can do (ds1 was able to get some extra credit in orchestra once by doing a report on a composer).

Let the guidance counselor decide if the principal needs to be brought in on this or not.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM

I am not one that is quick to call a teacher about such issues.  I always encourage my kids to try and resolve things on their own.  But that being said in this case I would be calling or emailing his Chorus teacher.  This is on her and not him. 

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Is the music thingan extra cirruclar or a class he would be graded in? If its an extra cirrcular, then he needs to do his PE test. if both are actual classes where is getting graded in then he needs to talk to both teacher and let the teachers work out an arrangement that will work with both of them. if the music rehearsal is part of class than he needs to rehearse at music time and do his PE test before or after school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)