Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Making Bread

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you own a bread maker and make your own bread regularly?

I'm going thru bread like it's no one's business and refuse to buy the cheap stuff so our bread bill is crazy, imo.  Between sandwiches, french toast some weekends, toast, fresh bread crumbs, etc. we go thru loaves too quickly.

I'm considering buying a bread maker but am wondering if it's worth it.

Do you own one?  If so, which one?  Does it do fun things like cinnamon rolls?  Do you feel the time making the bread is worth what you save and making better bread?

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't own a bread machine but we do make bread from scratch on occasion. We have a woodfire ovens o we make it in there.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I do have a bread machine - I have a Cuisinart. I'm gluten free, though, so that's why I got one.

It would be worth it, to me, to make bread except that my boys don't like the gf bread I make (I don't know why, I like it) but they do like the Udi's bread.  I limit them to one sandwich (2 pieces of bread) per meal given the price of Udi's.

10isenough
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
We have one and make all our bread. I make about 2 loaves a week. We don't eat a lot of bread, even "healthy" bread shouldn't be consumed so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2under2.am
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't own a bread machine, but we do make all of our own bread products. It's definitely worth it for us, and it doesn't take much time either. My father owns a bread machine and he loves it. I'm not sure if it does cinnamon rolls but I know you can do pizza dough lol. They just have a Hamilton beach one from Wal-Mart and it's lasted over 10 years now.
Trixie-n-Moon
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I was making our family's bread without a bread machine for over a year before I recently got a machine. I don't think the machine bread tastes as good, but after making bread by hand for so long, the machine seems way easier. Tossing the ingredients in and turning it on takes 5 minutes at most.

I borrowed a machine for a month before deciding to buy one. If you're not sure, you might ask around. Chances are there's someone you know who owns one and never uses it who might be willing to let you try it out.

I have the Cuisinart one. In addition to regular loaves of bread, I've used the dough setting for pizza dough a few times.
anotherandree
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That is what I have too!  I LOVE it and we use it quite regularly.  I especially love their recipe book that comes with it.  I make cinnamon rolls from their recipe on special occasions.  There is also a cinnamon swirl bread that is really great.  

Quoting GwenMB:

I do have a bread machine - I have a Cuisinart. I'm gluten free, though, so that's why I got one.

It would be worth it, to me, to make bread except that my boys don't like the gf bread I make (I don't know why, I like it) but they do like the Udi's bread.  I limit them to one sandwich (2 pieces of bread) per meal given the price of Udi's.

CafeMom Tickers
Linagma03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I make homemade bread on occassion. For awhile I was on a kick and was making 4 loaves a week. We have 7 people in the family and we go through bread like crazy in our house. I have one kid who is GF and her bread is expensive I am thinking of trying to make some GF bread myself. The family loves it because of the taste and the way the house smells when I make it.  

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Have you made it advance and then froze it until you needed it?

Quoting Linagma03:

I make homemade bread on occassion. For awhile I was on a kick and was making 4 loaves a week. We have 7 people in the family and we go through bread like crazy in our house. I have one kid who is GF and her bread is expensive I am thinking of trying to make some GF bread myself. The family loves it because of the taste and the way the house smells when I make it.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM

NO! LOL! The first loaf out of the oven is cut and half of it is eaten before it gets a chance to cool all the way. I had wanted to try doing that but it would mean making about 10 loaves at a time if I wanted to freeze any. We go through about 2 loaves a week of store bought bread and 3 to 4 of homemeade bread mainly because they cut thick slices to make sandwiches, french toast, or just toast. DH likes to cut thick slices butter both sides and then toast it in a pan on the stove, he says that is the best toast in the world.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Have you made it advance and then froze it until you needed it?
Quoting Linagma03:

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM
That's funny! It probably would freeze just the same as store bought, wouldn't you think?

We're you using a maker or doing it by hand?

Quoting Linagma03:

NO! LOL! The first loaf out of the oven is cut and half of it is eaten before it gets a chance to cool all the way. I had wanted to try doing that but it would mean making about 10 loaves at a time if I wanted to freeze any. We go through about 2 loaves a week of store bought bread and 3 to 4 of homemeade bread mainly because they cut thick slices to make sandwiches, french toast, or just toast. DH likes to cut thick slices butter both sides and then toast it in a pan on the stove, he says that is the best toast in the world.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Have you made it advance and then froze it until you needed it?

Quoting Linagma03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)