Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frosted Shamrock Cookie Recipe Is Perfect for St. Patrick's Day

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:25 AM
  • 8 Replies

Frosted Shamrock Cookie Recipe Is Perfect for St. Patrick's Day

Shamrock Cookie RecipeIf you don't drool over soda bread and the idea of corn beef and cabbage is less than appealing -- you're probably still at a bit of a loss over how to get deliciously festive for St. Patrick's day. While I occupy myself with this entire pot of colcannon, allow me to share with you the sweetest, tastiest, and most thematically appropriate option for all your St. Patty's day baking needs. 

These sweet sugar cookies paired with suculent green-to-match frosting will bring the luck of the Irish to all who eat them! You don't need to venture out into a field to hunt for a four leaf clover, you don't need to go any further than your own kitchen! One cookie cutter is really all you need to make these fast, pretty, cookies in honor of the day where we are all a little bit Irish. 

Frosted Shamrock Cookies Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 package green Jello 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 10 teaspoons water
  • Sprinkles, as needed
  • Shamrock cookie cutter

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350
  • Combine 3/4 cup butter and 1 package of Jello until well-mixed, then add vanilla.
  • Add flour slowly.
  • Form dough into shaggy ball and roll out on a well-floured surface, cut out cookies and place on baking trays in fridge for one hour
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes
  • As they cool, mix remaining butter with remaining Jello
  • Decorate as you please!

What do you cook to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Image via betsyweber/Flickr

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Well, I start the day with Irish Coffee and end it with Irish Car Bombs.  Everything in between is typically in the liquid form.  ;)

I think that I'm going to make corned beef and cabbage for dinner this year.  Possibly a mint chocolate chip sundae for dessert, since it is green.

la1118
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I cooked for a party we hosted yesterday:

Starters

Irish Cheddar Shortbread Crackers

Clover shaped nibbles of biscuit heaven and seasoned with sea salt and cayenne

Reuben Roll-up Sandwiches 

Corned beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and mustard give this pub food an Irish flare

Whisky Cheddar Wings

Slow simmered in garlic, onion, shallots, and Jameson's Irish Whisky, then finished off on the grill and dressed with shaved Irish cheddar

Irish Potato Candy

Hand rolled cream cheese and flaked coconut with hints of cinnamon

Main

Corned Beef Brisket

Classically Irish-American, traditionally brined in coriander, mustard seed, cloves, and nutmeg

Shepherd's Pie

Ground beef baked with mixed vegetables and topped with whipped mashed potatoes and parmesan

Mushroom-Barley Soup

Hearty vegetarian soup made with wild mushrooms

Extras

Colcannon

No coins in this authentic Irish concoction of creamed potatoes, cabbage, leeks and bacon

Glazed Carrots with Irish Whiskey and Ginger

Sliced carrots sautéed in butter with hints of brown sugar and ginger and bathed in Irish Whiskey

Soda Bread

Real. Authentic. Classic. Good.  Scratch made with flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk

Cheddar-Walnut Bread

An interesting variation on traditional brown soda bread, enhanced with Vintage Irish cheddar and chopped walmuts

Desserts

Pebbernodders

Hints of ginger, cloves and cinnamon are present in this understated cookie of Danish origin made legendary by the Irish.   Like the potato chip, eating one is impossible

Chocolate Guinness Cake

Decadent yet not too sweet or heavy, this chocolate cake is dusted with cocoa powder and baked with Guinness for an unforgettable experience 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I'm not sure yet what we're having for dinner that night. Probably corned beef and cabbage, although I've made Irish stew a few times in the past.

We have soda bread leftover from ds2's school project on Ireland, so we'll have that.

I have no idea what dessert will be. I'll probably go the lazy route and get something at the store.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:35 PM
We don't cook anything! !
ljmom24
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:41 AM
I'll be making corned beef. No cabbage though.
WallFlower0x
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
The most I do for St. Patrick's Day is sending the kids to school in green.
artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Going out to dinner, is my FIL's birthday.

Impressionists
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:07 PM
Those directions are horrible. What do you do with the powdered sugar? Lol. I actually tried to make these. We had to improvise a lot, and they were still bad. If I were a better cook, maybe I could have worked it out!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)