Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fifth Grade Promotion Gift?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM
  • 32 Replies

Where we live, the school progression is:

TK-5 - elementary
6-8 - middle
9-12 - high

In a couple of months (first week of June) DS will be "promoting" from fifth grade, and moving on to middle school. This is an occasion at the school, with families invited to attend, parents bring leis of all kinds, and the students dressing nicely and performing, a processional, speeches - similar to a high school graduation?

This wasn't done when I was in school, and DS is the oldest of the neices and nephews. DH and I have been discussing a promotion gift. The gifts I've discussed with other moms we know range from minimal (a $25 gift card) to very, very extravagant (a 7 day, 6 night trip to Ireland for a classmate of Ds', and this is very much the child's gift. She chose the location, and is planning the activities.).

Ds is ten.

Were to get your promoting fifth grader a gift, what would you get?

(We will be getting him something [not a trip to Ireland!), so while I respect that some people wouldn't celebrate it, or think it's ridiculous, this is happening, regardless.) 

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaWanna1982
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in the same boat wondering what to get my son for his graduation....so here is a bump!

MamaWanna1982
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM

BUMP!

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I took my kids to lunch. No special gift until HS grad.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I could definitely see letting my child pick a place to go eat that day, but beyond that I honestly don't know...ask next year when my oldest is in 5th grade and finishing up elementary school!  But even then it may not be a big deal with a big ceremony simply because the school auditorium cannot hold even 2 parents for every child in a grade.  The last several years the 5th grade kids have elected to just have a pizza party instead of some ceremony--as long as they still got to be "clapped out" of the building (where all of the K-4th grade kids clap as the 5th graders walk the halls and leave.)

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:52 PM

I'm so glad they don't do that here.  Our school gives each 5th grader a middle school tshirt that they wear on the last day to school. They also do another "grad" tshirt with the school logo on front and sigantures  screenprinted on the back. I would maybe just get a gift card for next yrs school supplies. My daughter started 6th this yr and needed a zippered binder with accordion binder inside to organize papers. It cost around $25.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM
We've always done jewelry since it lasts. Have you thought of a money clip, cuff links, or a tie pin?
Fibonacci11235
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I don't know that the students have any input in the proceedings - this event is basically a "tradition," and is done the same way for the schools in our district, basically. It's like a mini-graduation, with guest speakers and everything. I think the fifth graders would probably like it a great deal if there was significantly less pomp and circumstance regarding the proceedings, too!

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:55 PM

MyPre-k-8 school has a graduation for Pre-k, K, and 8th grade. Last year when dd graduated from Pre-K there was a short 15 minute ceremony at the school, the kids got a " diploma" and the parents did a small potluck luncheon. For the K graduation they hold it the last week of school, and it's quite similar to the pre-k one, only they include the award ceremony for the rest of the school and do the 8th graduation as well. 

I don't really celebrate these type of graduations. On the last day of school we go out to dinner and let the kids puck where they want, but it's more of a kick off to summer thing.

foltzy
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:55 PM
My daughter is graduating 5th this year. I'm going to start her charm bracelet and probably flowers.
Fibonacci11235
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM

We actually already have supplies purchased and set aside for next year (I like this idea!) DS really likes yellow, and I was able to grab a couple zippered dual-sided accordian binders and some other things for a song  on a local FB exchange.

Most other stuff, we have a tradition for going and picking out as soon as the supply lists are released.  

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

I'm so glad they don't do that here. I would maybe just get a gift card for next yrs school supplies. My daughter started 6th this yr and needed a zippered binder with accordion binder inside to organize papers. It cost around $25.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)