Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School is closed, child care question

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello. I am new so for a quick into- Iam Sam. I have two kids one boy is 6.5 and my girl is 5.

My son goes to school and after school he would go to my daughter's daycare/preschool. The majority of the students are preschoolers and there is on other kindergarten girl, my son is in first grade. I found an after school program for him to go to that has more kids his own age however they are only open after school. No holidays or school vacations.

What do you do for school vacation weeks? There are no centers near me for older kids.

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Have you looked for Spring Break Camps? We have tons of those near me.
Miss_Magnolia.
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Quoting Bookwormy: Have you looked for Spring Break Camps? We have tons of those near me.

I can only seem to find soccer ones. its a big soccer town but my son isnt into it. We tried it last sping.

I might have to suck it up and ask around. I'm not very social. 

wonderwomanT08
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM
I Am A Licensed In Home Child Care Provider. This is a problem for many so they look for care in licensed homes.
wonderwomanT08
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM
Lol. I don't know what all the capitals are for. Stupid phone

Quoting wonderwomanT08: I Am A Licensed In Home Child Care Provider. This is a problem for many so they look for care in licensed homes.
Miss_Magnolia.
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:19 PM

I found an inhome daycare when I was last looking.

i might have to find another with older kids. My son will let people baby him and his having a little trouble growing up so I really need to make sure he is with older kids.

Quoting wonderwomanT08: I Am A Licensed In Home Child Care Provider. This is a problem for many so they look for care in licensed homes.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Typically you know about breaks from school months in advance, so I would either make arrangements for him to spend some time at friends houses or look into a HS aged child to watch him in your own home while you are at work.  Another option is taking vacation time when your child doesn't have school.  Many parents here seem to do that.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:27 AM
We are lucky we have grandparents that can watch them or one of us takes time off. The y has a vacation camp but my dad gets offended if I pay someine to watch when he is there to do it,
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM
It sounds like they let him stay at the daycare so I do not see the issue? Most schools close for vacations. :) if that does not work for you arrange your vacation time accordingly, talk to friends from school, hire a sitter. But the reality is there are few ways you will get him in a group of his age during vacations and holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:27 AM

My sister sends her kids to the YMCA during breaks.

Some of the daycares around here will take kids up to 12 yrs old during the summer.

Another option for the summer is to find a high school or college student to be a nanny. Someone old enough to drive (and old enough to have passengers in the car) would be ideal, b/c then they could take your child to the pool, movies, etc.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM

We use my mom but they have tons of programs here during the breaks including the one day semester breaks. Art, music, sports etc. For fun we do the gymnastics camp part of the time.

I would look for a HS student also since they would be off at the same time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)