Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework as punishment?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:25 AM
  • 29 Replies
I've got some friends who make their kids do stuff like reading and book reports etc when grounded and to earn stuff back. I'm conflicted on doing this myself. I'd like to, but my worry is associating negative things with things like reading. I don't really want reading or math or schoolwork to be a punishment.

So I wondered what others thoughts are on the subject? Does age factor into your opinion?
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not something I do for that reason, I don't want to send the message that homework is punishment.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:13 AM
My 9yo is on lock down for his ,ouch till he learns to control it so the only thing he can do is read or stare at a wall. I won't make him read but he's not going to be able to do anything until he learns to act right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It wouldn't be a punishment in my house - all of my kids love to read and write.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:18 AM

I have only used any sort of "schoolwork" as a punishment once. Ds1 had been lying about homework, and when he did do his homework, his handwriting was extra sloppy (even for him; his handwriting is not the best), so we had him write "I will not lie to my teacher" in his best handwriting 100x. While that did improve his handwriting some for a bit, it did not do much to correct the problem long term, so we have not used that kind of punishment again.

I would never use reading as a punishment- I want that to be a fun activity (or, at least, not a totally "painful" one).

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:37 AM

It depends what he did wrong. If he refused to complete class work than yes he needs to do work at home. If he was throwing toys or breaking them than he will only have books to read. I don't care what book or magazine he picks. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:08 AM

I do not use homework, reading, writing (including "writing lines") or anything like that as punishment for that very reason.  I prefer for the punishment to fit the crime and typically go with natural consequences.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.  I use that same reasoning here.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

It's not something I do for that reason, I don't want to send the message that homework is punishment.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Before my 9 year old turned 10 in February, she was on "lock down" for the better part of the last two weeks of January and first two weeks of February.

I am not sure if our child situations were the same, but it was all behavioural here as well.  She is OK now.  Her problem is she is much like me!

Quoting mommyof11050307: My 9yo is on lock down for his ,ouch till he learns to control it so the only thing he can do is read or stare at a wall. I won't make him read but he's not going to be able to do anything until he learns to act right.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:17 AM

I have never done it. My mom used to do it to me. Because of it I stopped reading for years and felt punished anytime I was given required reading.

As an adult I love reading. I can easily read three 350-500 page books a week. But it took me a long time to pick one up again.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:49 AM
My son loves to run his mouth when his dad isn't home and he knows it drives me insane. He started earning his things back a month ago from the last lock down just to have it taken again. He thinks his pop pop will come save him like he has in the past expect my dad isn't around in a daily bases any more since we finally found a house.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Before my 9 year old turned 10 in February, she was on "lock down" for the better part of the last two weeks of January and first two weeks of February.

I am not sure if our child situations were the same, but it was all behavioural here as well.  She is OK now.  Her problem is she is much like me!

Quoting mommyof11050307: My 9yo is on lock down for his ,ouch till he learns to control it so the only thing he can do is read or stare at a wall. I won't make him read but he's not going to be able to do anything until he learns to act right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)