Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where Was I In 2011?!- Hot Sauce Mom

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

I watch the local news on a regular basis and it breaks my heart to see children being abused or going missing. I have no idea how I missed this scandal in 2011.

In a nutshell this mom of 6 had her dd tape her punishing her then 6 year old adopted son. Because the little boy lied to her and pulled three behavior cards the mom put hot sauce in his mouth and punished him with a cold shower.

I was raised old school. Where soap in the mouth and a spanking with an extension cord or switch was a regular occurrence. With that said seeing this woman disgusted me. I have never put soap or hot sauce in my girls mouths. I never knew people used cold showers as a punishment. And could not imagine doing so to anyone. Her intensity and the fear she is striking in this child for such a minor offense is sicking to me.

I'm sure the CM veterns have probably already discussed this when it first broke and I'm sorry for bring up old news. But this is new to me and I wanted to hear some feed back on how other's felt.

Is hot saucing something you do or would do? What about cold showers? Would you consider this child abuse or parenting done right?

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:05 PM

The hot sauce I have is called "Toxic Waste" now if you gave that to anyone forcefully that would be abuse without an argument.

Forced cold showers - yeah I see that as abuse also

Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Dr. Phil (who I am not a fan of in the first place) explains in this clip that since the hot sauce is FDA approved and she is not attacking the boy's self esteem or creating tissue damage. This would not be considered abuse in SOME states.

Quoting highlandmum:

The hot sauce I have is called "Toxic Waste" now if you gave that to anyone forcefully that would be abuse without an argument.

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Even though it is FDA approved it can still be abuse when the warning states this:

Not recommended for use without dilution.
THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS THE HOTTEST KNOWN INGREDIENTS ON THE PLANET EARTH PLEASE USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION!

Quoting Sydel:

Dr. Phil (who I am not a fan of in the first place) explains in this clip that since the hot sauce is FDA approved and she is not attacking the boy's self esteem or creating tissue damage. This would not be considered abuse in SOME states.

Quoting highlandmum:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:10 PM

If we took too long in the shower, my dad would shut the hot water off and we'd have to finish with cold water.  We learned to get in, get washed, and get out.  A cold shower seems like a stupid punishment for misbehavior though.  I have heard of people using hot sauce when their kid is a smart mouth, but again not for misbehavior at school.  I honestly don't think either of these would be very effective.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM

I personally would not use either one.

I think using a cold shower as a punishment could potentially cause issues later on.

As for the hot sauce, I think it depends on how much is used. I used to babysit for a family that used "the sauce" as a punishment, but they only used a drop, maybe 2 if it was a major transgression. While it's not a punishment I'd choose, used in that small amount does not seem like abuse to me.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:42 PM
I wouldn't do either to my kids. To me what she did was abuse. There were way better ways to handle that situation.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM

I guess she did serve jail time and 3 years probation.

Quoting mom2jessnky: I wouldn't do either to my kids. To me what she did was abuse. There were way better ways to handle that situation.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM

I wouldn't use either one of these tatics either,

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM
Both are abusive. And so sad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)