• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Book Fair

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM
  • 26 Replies

Today is Little Miss's book fair. She was not happy with me this morning because I refused to give her money. Her sister was a strong reader. We have three book shelves and a few bins filled with kid's books. A few different series and complete collections.

I gave dd money the last two years, I also used to let her order from the scholastic catalog, and she  never read the books.

I told her all of this last week. I told her until she starts reading the books we have at home I will not let her buy more. She claims that she wants to read Diary of a Whimpy Kid and we dont' have any of those.

so I plan on taking her to the library to get the first book. I have it on hold. DD is rarely upset so it was actually pretty comical to see her pout this morning.

ETA - DD does have her own book case with all books that she has chosen.  We visit the book store regularly and she always gets books. When she brought home the book fair ppw last week I pointed out that she has so many books she hasn't read and told her she needed to at least start one of those books before the book fair. I asked her last night if she was going to start/read any of her books and warned her that if she didn't she would get no money. She chose not to.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
SMH....

Books are one thing I always let the kids have for a special event. It is also a school fundraiser.so supports the school. One book wouldn't have broken the bank AND made DDs day.

Not my house tho..
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Books are the one thing dh and I have always said we would be willing to overspend on for the kids.

I do get where you're coming from, though. If she's gotten all these other books and not read them yet, I can see wanting to wait to get her any more.

On the other hand, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to refuse to get any of my kids a new book just b/c they haven't read all of their newest ones, seeing as I have at least 20 books sitting around that I haven't gotten to yet, and I still buy myself some more : )

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Books are something I will always buy, there's no such thing as too many books. I can't really fault a person for not reading every book they own already I have a stack on my nightstand to read still, and a ton on my Kindle.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Her sister.picked all the other boos. As a kid, I was always more willing to read something I picked out than something I was told to read.
Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM

My to read list is massive. Thank goodness I switched to a kindle. I think if she was a reader I wouldn't have thought twice about sending money. But with buying books and refusing to read them it's a bit much. I gave her a week to read or at least start one of the books she has purchased in the past. She didn't do it so she got no money. We will get her the book from the library and if she truly enjoys it we will buy the collection and read them over the summer.

Quoting wakymom:

Books are the one thing dh and I have always said we would be willing to overspend on for the kids.

I do get where you're coming from, though. If she's gotten all these other books and not read them yet, I can see wanting to wait to get her any more.

On the other hand, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to refuse to get any of my kids a new book just b/c they haven't read all of their newest ones, seeing as I have at least 20 books sitting around that I haven't gotten to yet, and I still buy myself some more : )

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM

One of those book cases are from her. As I said I have sent money the last two years and she gets books when we go to BAM which is at least 3-5 times a month. So she has over 50 books that are hers.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Her sister.picked all the other boos. As a kid, I was always more willing to read something I picked out than something I was told to read.

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but does your daughter have the same taste as your older one? I'd hate to be limited to someone else's bookshelf, even my sister's, because we don't have the same taste in books.

Books are something we will always find money for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Eh, I typically let them get a few books.  My oldest son and youngest son don't enjoy reading the same types of books, so I couldn't imagine forcing my youngest to read all of the oldest's sport themed books before he could get a new mystery or action/adventure book that he enjoyed.  We all have differeing tastes and I respect that in my children.

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM

She has her own book shelf with books she has chosen.

Quoting canadianmom1974: I understand where you're coming from, but does your daughter have the same taste as your older one? I'd hate to be limited to someone else's bookshelf, even my sister's, because we don't have the same taste in books. Books are something we will always find money for.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM

I always buy a book or two at the book fair. We have LOADS of books too, but if my child wants to buy a new book to read to me, I am okay with it. We also utilize the library to make sure she is interested in an actual book series before I go buying them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)