Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids allowed to use the microwave at school?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM
  • 43 Replies

Thank you all for the tips with the Thermos :)   I am going to do that when he wants his lunch switched up.

Landon - Dayton - Brielle My love My life!

by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I've never heard of an elementary school allowing kids to warm up their food. At least not on a regular basis. I think it's weird that you sent the cup without checking with the school that there would be a microwave for him to use. I'm sorry you think the rule is stupid but if they had a large group of kids trying to use the  one or two microwaves every day it would be both inconvenient and time consuming.

taz1993
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM
No they can't. If she wants a hot meal she has to buy her lunch.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM
The public schools do not allow the kids to use microwaves due to liability of them being burned and it would be insane to say adults need to help the kids. There would be major lines for the microwaves and a big hassle for all.

DD gots to a tiny charter school. They have thee microwaves the kids can use.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Well try to see it from the teacher's perspective, sure to you it's one kid that needs his food opened, heated, and stirred. No big deal right? Until it's more than one kid, say lunch is only 30 minutes long and your kid is #25 in the microwave line, he's not eating lunch that day. Heck his food may not even make it into the microwave before lunch is over. Then you'll be pissed that your kid had to go hungry. Of course teachers can eat what they want, 1. they're adults 2. there are less of them.

He's not stuck eating sandwiches all year, there are literally thousands of lunches that don't involve sandwiches.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No...if one kid wants to heat hers up, then other kids will want to heat theirs up and there goes the lunch break.  It would be gone before everyone heated up lunch.  Imagine if 20 kids wanted to heat something up.  There's 1-3 minutes per kid and the last kid in line may not even get to eat his food.  No biggie...I pack lots of things when they want packed lunch.  Even hot food.  I bought them round Thermos' for hot food and it stays hot.  They've taken homemade nuggets, spaghetti, beef stew, chili, all kinds of things.  

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

There is also the issue of liability, if your kid over heats his food, and gets burnt, the school is liable. If he overheats it, freaks out and flings it away from himself and burns other people the school is liable. I don't want my kid burnt because some kid's mom has never heard of a thermos.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

No idea what KD cups are and no the children don't have access to a microwave at school.  The only microwave in the building is in the teacher's lounge and students aren't permitted in there, and rightly so.  Purchase a thermos.

SaskMummy
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM
When I went to school they had a microwave in the classroom for kids to use , I never thought anything of it.

Quoting Sydel:

I've never heard of an elementary school allowing kids to warm up their food. At least not on a regular basis. I think it's weird that you sent the cup without checking with the school that there would be a microwave for him to use. I'm sorry you think the rule is stupid but if they had a large group of kids trying to use the  one or two microwaves every day it would be both inconvenient and time consuming.

SaskMummy
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Thank you... I'll just do that from now on

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Well try to see it from the teacher's perspective, sure to you it's one kid that needs his food opened, heated, and stirred. No big deal right? Until it's more than one kid, say lunch is only 30 minutes long and your kid is #25 in the microwave line, he's not eating lunch that day. Heck his food may not even make it into the microwave before lunch is over. Then you'll be pissed that your kid had to go hungry. Of course teachers can eat what they want, 1. they're adults 2. there are less of them.

He's not stuck eating sandwiches all year, there are literally thousands of lunches that don't involve sandwiches.

SammyElla94
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Our school doesn't allow kids to use a microwave either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)