Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inspired by other posts...when did kid's lunch become such a big deal?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
  • 39 Replies
3 moms liked this

So in the microwave post and in the what do you send them with post (and a million other posts), it's indicated that sending a kid with a sandwich for lunch everyday is not okay. It's not even okay to do most of the time.

I wonder when this become an issue... when did lunch become some gourmet production?

When I was a kid if my mom packed my lunch it was a sandwich (PB&J typically), an apple or banana, water, and maybe some crackers or a string cheese. That was it, and it was fine, I was fed, it was filling, it did the job. I never once wistfully sighed in the lunch room wishing my mom would pack me a themed lunch, or a salad niçoise. In fact if she had packed 75% of the lunches I see on pinterest, I would have been like "the hell is this?" It's lunch, it's eating time, it's not a contest to see whose mom is the most in need of a better hobby.

Why does a kid need some big fairy tale lunch? Why can't they eat a sandwich everyday? You can make several different types of sandwiches, plus they're easy to make and filling. I'm not normally one to pine for the "good old days" but parents these days over complicate EVERYTHING. It's school lunch y'all, it's not that serious. And even when parents DO pack a sandwich, they can't just pack a sandwich...no the sandwich must be interesting.

Look at this... is this even filling? I feel like the kid that got this lunch, while interesting to look at, was starving 15 minutes later...I'd rather pack a boring lunch that's filling so my kid eats it, rather than plays with it.

Why is everything so over thought and complicated?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I suffer from anxiety and a need to be a better mother than my own. (It's a clusterfk I'm on meds)  But I can honestly say I have NEVER attempted to make a pinterest worthy lunch.

My dd's school district gives free lunch to all. I don't even check the menu. We don't discuss if she wants to eat what is being served. Unless she ate something she absolutely loved and wanted to brag about I have no idea what or how much she ate.

She brags about the schools mac and cheese, cheese sticks, and fresh watermelon. Also when they got vanilla milk it was a HUGE deal for her LOL.

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM

My oldest packed from K-6. I did the usual sandwich, fruit, go-gurt, and mini bag of crackers or chips for a long time. When she got older she took over and eliminated the sandwich. She would pack 3 fruit cups and a greek yogurt. She enjoyed using her lunch for socializing. She would eat when she got home.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

I have to pack my oldest DD's lunch at minimum because school lunches don't come in the gluten free variety.

Her lunch most of the time is: Sandwich, apple, baby carrots (with hummus for dipping), drink, something crunchy (pretzels), yogurt, and an extra snack (Lara bar or granola bar) for when she's REALLY hungry. Sometimes I'll be more creative than that and do something I consider fun. Breakfast for lunch, or meat & cheese roll ups, pasta salad, tuna salad. Things like that. But if I made 180 sandwich school lunches my kid wouldn't care.

Quoting Sydel:

I suffer from anxiety and a need to be a better mother than my own. (It's a clusterfk I'm on meds)  But I can honestly say I have NEVER attempted to make a pinterest worthy lunch.

My dd's school district gives free lunch to all. I don't even check the menu. We don't discuss if she wants to eat what is being served. Unless she ate something she absolutely loved and wanted to brag about I have no idea what or how much she ate.

She brags about the schools mac and cheese, cheese sticks, and fresh watermelon. Also when they got vanilla milk it was a HUGE deal for her LOL.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand it either.  I had a bologna, cheese, and mustard sandwich along with chips/pretzels, fruit, and a lunch cake every single day for lunch from first grade through 12th grade.  My mom made it and I ate it without a second thought.  When my boys bring a lunch from home it is always a sandwich.  I don't have the time, energy or patience to make a gourmet lunch for anyone, especially someone who is still in elementary school.

nova.mommy
by Kristi on May. 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Mine get a sandwich, cheese crackers and a fuit rollup.  They buy milk.  They also bring a snack in each day(the school found the students do better when they eat a small(not candy-they can not bring it for snack) snack and have some water.  So they have a granola bar, Special K bar, Chees crackers, etc. and a 8 oz. bottle of water each day.

DD has lunch at 10:45 so she is not always very hungry then.  DS is superpicky.

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I mainly ate the school lunch in elementary school. But more than once my mom showed up at my school with taco bell or mcdonalds and had lunch with me. That's as close as she got to packing. When she was told it was unfair to bring me fast food and eat it infront of the other kids. She showed up at my class with food for everyone. LOL

TMI I know but when you said your mom packed  for you k-12 it made me think of my mom's lunch antics.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't understand it either.  I had a bologna, cheese, and mustard sandwich along with chips/pretzels, fruit, and a lunch cake every single day for lunch from first grade through 12th grade.  My mom made it and I ate it without a second thought.  When my boys bring a lunch from home it is always a sandwich.  I don't have the time, energy or patience to make a gourmet lunch for anyone, especially someone who is still in elementary school.

busy_mama27
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM

I always pack my 1st graders lunch... she hates all the school lunch food.  MOST of the time it is a sandwich with crackers/chips/pretzels/yogurt, fruit and or veggie and dip, and water.  Sometimes I use the 12 hour thermos and heat up leftovers to put in it... occasionally I make her old fashioned oatmeal in it.... those are when I have time or think about it.  Every once in a while she gets a home made muffin or protein bar with yogurt and fruit.  I try to mix it up some so she doesn't get too bored but I am not sure who has time to make it cute.  

Ali5683
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I am right there with you. It's ridiculous. My son starts kindergarten this Fall and I won't be doing anything fancy. Sandwiches are just fine!

lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM
I pack what I know my kid will eat. Sometimes I change it up. I prefer to know what goes into my food as much as possible, so I take a little more time to prep and will make my own yogurt/fruit/granola combo for her. Usually at the same time I'm making one for me.
I was on a class field trip yesterday and the amount of lunchables and deli subs I saw made me feel queasy. I'm going with it was because it was a fun day.
MommyHuman
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Wit some many kids with allergies now,mand schools going through abs inspecting lunches parents can't win. My dd buysher lunch everyday unless it's a fails trip. On feild trip days I usually pack a turkey and cheese sandwich, fruit, yogurt cup, and juice. I can see why some kids don't want to eat a sandwich everyday, or why some parents wouldn't want to do a sandwich. Bread is mostly sugar, even wheat. Plus I was the kids who hated feild trip days when I had to bring a sandwich. I hated  store bought bread and still do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)