• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Your Child Test Well?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Looking over my girls grades online. Noticed that the younger one has a C in reading. Her first C of the school year. :(  I pulled the work and saw that she has bombed the last two tests. I plan on talking to her about it later. She has always struggled with tests. She doesn't have anxiety, she says she goes blank. I think she rushes. But that's just a theory I don't really have anything to back it.

If you have a child that doesn't test well, what did you do to help?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son has anxiety, so he had to learn coping skills to help when testing.  Things like a stress ball to squeeze, eliminate the answers that he knows aren't right and guessing from the remaining choices, etc.  I have also encouraged him to go back over his answers to double check himself.

emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM

I had difficulties in school testing too with reading but I was diagnosed with a language processing disorder by the child psychologist. I suggest your child be evaluated also.  By having this diagnosis I was able to take tests without a limit of time and in a seperate area.  My grades went up 20 points.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Fortunately, mine don't have any nerve/anxiety problems w/ taking tests. I suspect ds1 may draw a blank at times, or rush if he's starting to run out of time, but it's not something that causes major issues.

Dd did get a bit nervous before taking the first part of ISTEP for the first time back in March, but after that first day, she's been fine with it.

mommy053008
by Maria on May. 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I don't test well either. It's a thing.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:17 PM

My oldest needs help when testing. She has learning disabilities that get in the way. So someone reads the test to her. My second tests well. We haven't done anything to help her. She just does. Have no clue with my youngest yet. She hasn't had tests yet.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM
DD struggles in school but usually once she gets it, she gets it. She also rushes through her work, I am forever reminding her to slow down and double check her work. I don't think she does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 12:24 AM
My eldest is an average student and her test results reflect that. She maintains a B average and a test can be a where from a 69-89 percent. She rarely scores in the A range.

My youngest is bright, but not gifted. She can easily score in the 85-95 range with little effort and does so unless she is lazy and then might get around an 80 percent.

Neither have a lot of test anxiety. I have done my best to tell them often that tests are a reflection on the teacher. How well has the teacher taught you the material and that we try our best because we like our teachers but if you don't know it's because you have not learned it yet and the test tells the teacher that she needs to teach it to you. We want to get what we already know correct so the teacher does not have to teach us something we already know and waste our time.

So far the logic works and my kids know that all I want to know is if they tried their best. Neither gets too stressed over testing and if they do I quickly squash the anxiety.
cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM
Given that university entry here relies heavily on your ability to test well, not testing well isn't really an option. None of my kids ever "tested poorly" thus far, if they did then they didn't know the content.
Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I never tested well either, but my girls do very good.  To my 7 year old, it comes naturally at this point in grade 2 but my 10 year old in grade 4 works at it, but does very well.

I am blessed and proud of both of them.

Quoting mommy053008:

I don't test well either. It's a thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)