Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my five year old is reading

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
We read alot before bed. And we have a game we play called smashing letters,: so you sound out the letters in the word ex I and t, three times then you clap your hands and yell smash and the word it is... now she is doing it for alot of the words we read YAY!!!! To think from 5 to like 22 I couldn't even keep a fish alive and now my five year old is learning to read. Im so proud of her too I cant believe she's getting it so fast YAY!!
by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jujubear1
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Awesome. Is she in kindergarten yet or will she be next school year?
hotmama404
by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome! Keep with reading and show a lot of emphasis on it!

My 5yo is reading The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. He is just like his older brother. When my oldest was 5, he read Frankenstein in one evening.

My family has always been big on reading. I read to my children before they could. I read in the car line every day. Both my parents are always reading.

The more you do it, the more they want to try!
mollycharliesmo
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Yes ahe will be heading to kindergarden next year.

Quoting jujubear1: Awesome. Is she in kindergarten yet or will she be next school year?
jujubear1
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That really is great. A lot of parents think teaching their kid to read is their teacher's job. You're setting her up for success by teaching her before she heads to school.

Quoting mollycharliesmo: Yes ahe will be heading to kindergarden next year.

Quoting jujubear1: Awesome. Is she in kindergarten yet or will she be next school year?
mollycharliesmo
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I know, and then they blame the teacher because the child did not succeed at it.
But I guess that it also depends on the child. Like my 5 year old knew all the colors and majority of the shapes and numbers at home cause I taught them to her, but when she got to school the teacher said she didn't know a couple of them.come to find out that she figured out that if ahe pretends not to know them she plays more games having to do with them, like painting the shapes and numbers which she likes to do. But I digress thank you and my goal is to give her all the tools for success.

Quoting jujubear1: That really is great. A lot of parents think teaching their kid to read is their teacher's job. You're setting her up for success by teaching her before she heads to school.

Quoting mollycharliesmo: Yes ahe will be heading to kindergarden next year.

autodidact
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

a lot

mollycharliesmo
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:10 PM
Well with that coming from someone self taught I will keep an eye on my spelling and spacing. Cute picture by the way. thanks!

Quoting autodidact:

a lot

MEE607
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM

That is great!! 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for her!

mommy053008
by Maria on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM

That's awesome! My daughter was learning to read at 5 she is 6 and can read fluently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)