Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Make Them Use Their Own Money

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:41 PM
  • 27 Replies

If you have a  planned shopping trip where your child has their own money to spend do you help them out if they go over?

If it's a shopping trip where she is using gift cards from Christmas or her birthday I will usually cover tax or even match the gift cards. Just depends. But it's discussed prior to leaving for the store and she must stay in that budget. But at the grocery store or clothes/shoes shopping she has to stay within her budget.

Dd and my mom cashed in a bunch of change yesterday. DD had $12. She informed me that she was going to use it to by the things I won't buy.

A block of cheese, cool whip, jumbo campfire marshmallows, a 20 oz aloe water, and a My Little Pony Equestria girl. Her total came up to $13.50. She asked me if I would use my bank card to cover the $1.50 and I told her no. The cashier's eyes about popped out of her head. LOL DD  put back the $2.50 marshmallows and was good to go.

I think learning how to stay in a budget is important and the sooner they learn it the better.

Thoughts??

by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM

I wouldn't make my child buy groceries at all. Even if I wont eat them I would still buy them for her. Other than that we try to make them stay in their budget. I will give some change if needed if I have it but I don't usually carry cash of any kind.

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy grocceries for the home. This was a special trip with my mom. She wanted things that I had not or would not buy and she chose to use her own money. I don't see anything wrong with having her pay for extra things  that she wants. They are wants not needs. These wants just happened to be food and a doll.

Quoting bunnywzrd:

I wouldn't make my child buy groceries at all. Even if I wont eat them I would still buy them for her. Other than that we try to make them stay in their budget. I will give some change if needed if I have it but I don't usually carry cash of any kind.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I guess I would say, sometimes I would cover it, but not always.

When it is extras or junk food, I make them stay to a budget. I would not cover that 99% of the time.

On the other hand, my kids are pretty darn nice and generous. I know they buy treats and drinks quite often, with their own $, for their friend who lives in a bad situation. They dont want to eat/drink in front of him and always get him stuff. So, given they do that, I would be inclined to slip them a little in that situation.

Sydel
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:15 PM

That is very thoughtful and I would totally pay for those kinds of treats.

But little miss bought that tub of cool whip to eat by herself with a spoon.  Same with the cheese! We have blocked cheese at home. I cut it into cubes for a quick snack. She informed me that was to be her block and she would not share with big sister.

Her sister will use her own money to buy name brand frosted flakes.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I guess I would say, sometimes I would cover it, but not always. When it is extras or junk food, I make them stay to a budget. I would not cover that 99% of the time. On the other hand, my kids are pretty darn nice and generous. I know they buy treats and drinks quite often, with their own $, for their friend who lives in a bad situation. They dont want to eat/drink in front of him and always get him stuff. So, gand ven they do that, I would be inclined to slip them a little in that situation.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I encourage my kids to stay on budget. When they get a gift card I have them add up what they're getting and encourage them to stop a few dollars short (so if they have a $50 g/c I'd tell them to stop at $45) so they can take tax into account. Though for the life of me I don't know why the US can't just get their shit together and have the price include tax like the rest of the planet!  I will cover a small overage, but my kids have been learning for years to stay on budget, so overages don't happen very often. 

I allow my kids to put a couple food item wants on the grocery list, I wouldn't make them buy their actual food or their Lordagsgodt (Saturday candy). If you want candy on Tuesday though, that's on you.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM

My kids spend their own money on wants and I don't give them extra money if they go over.  How else would they learn to budget their money?  I buy all necessities with my own money.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Yes if she uses her gift for things she needs. We went to Justice last week for some things she needed (not all of her choices were Mom approved) and she offered her gift card at the register so we used it and I paid the rest. Sometimes when we shop and she wants something special, I just buy it but she seems to usually have a gift card or 2.

A few years ago I lost my job and money was tight. From that, my kids learned the value of a dollar so I don't worry about that too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 7, 2015 at 3:58 PM

It depends.  When my youngest has birthday money or money from grandma to spend, we tell him how much he can get but sometimes we will cover the tax, if it isn't too much.

lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Not for food and clothing. Those are things she needs. For some of her toys she's on her own, though if there is a little over we'll cover it for her.
Pukalani79
by on May. 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM

We dont hae sales tax, so they don't have to worry about that. I don't make them pay for groceries and occassionally I'll cover the extra cost, but they're always quick to earn enough to pay that back. They're usually good about staying in budget 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)