Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scary Stories for Younger Kids

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
Can anyone recommend good "scary stories" for a first- or second-grade reading level?
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Goosebumps

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Do you think the books are at that reading level, though? My DD loves the show. I just think the books are not on a first- or second-grade level.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Goosebumps

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM

My kids read them at that age.  My youngest is in 5th grade and well beyond Goosebumps.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: Do you think the books are at that reading level, though? My DD loves the show. I just think the books are not on a first- or second-grade level.
Quoting steelcrazy:

Goosebumps

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:16 PM
What age???? I'm excited now. I'd love to get those books for her.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My kids read them at that age.  My youngest is in 5th grade and well beyond Goosebumps.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: Do you think the books are at that reading level, though? My DD loves the show. I just think the books are not on a first- or second-grade level.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Goosebumps

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Unless your dd is reading above grade-level, Goosebumps might be one for you to read together.

For something more on a 1st-2nd gr level, you might try the Wiley and Grampa's Creature Features, by Kirk Scroggs. I'm not sure how scary they are, but last yr when I was volunteering in ds2's school library, a lot of 1st/2nd graders were checking those books out.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:45 PM
She's in kindergarten but on a 2nd-grade reading level. So finding books to entice her can be difficult. Because I don't think she's socially ready for bloody heads just because she can read and comprehend the words. :) So your recommendations are great. Thanks!

Quoting wakymom:

Unless your dd is reading above grade-level, Goosebumps might be one for you to read together.

For something more on a 1st-2nd gr level, you might try the Wiley and Grampa's Creature Features, by Kirk Scroggs. I'm not sure how scary they are, but last yr when I was volunteering in ds2's school library, a lot of 1st/2nd graders were checking those books out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)