Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I just had the first period talk with DD age 8

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
I went surprisingly well. I was nervous. She was little scared at first but once we talked more she was ok with it. She also told me that a classmate of hers mentioned it back in April while they were in the restroom. Dd is in second grade. I'm really relieved because I was wondering how she would take it and what I would say. It just flowed out of me after watching a few YouTube videos and reading a few articles on it. I have no idea what my mom told me or when. Don't wait too long ladies. Kids talk. FYI the website I visited was www.beinggirl.com they also have YouTube page with videos of young girls discussing all things period and other girl topics.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Glad your first talk went well.

I started talking w/ my dd, 9 and 3rd gr, about periods (just the very bare-bones of them) when she was 4- she had followed me into the bathroom and asked why my pee was red. We've had several small, short talks since then, with my adding a little more info each time, as she has gotten older. It's pretty easy to talk about w/ her since she still follows me into the bathroom and has seen me change pads and tampons.

I gave dd the book The Care and Keeping of You, by American Girl, when she turned 7. She has been reading/re-reading it ever since. Great book!

teamwilson
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:21 PM
I'm gonna look for that book. Thanks. My oldest dd hadn't asked anything about it. I've even walked her down the isles and grabbed pads, tampons, etc. then I read an article that said girls start around age 9 or 10 and I was like what?! Really? I was a very late bloomer in this area. Maybe she will be too.
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Glad it went well. My dd was 6 when we started talking about sex,babies and puberty. She want alone her brothers were there as well. Couldn't help it even if I tried. Oldest ds was 10 at the time and he and younger ds came and asked what does s p e r m spell mom? Told them and of course next question was what's sperm? Saying go talk to dad wasn't cutting it. So that afternoon in the park we had the conversation.
crzemom
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM
I've had that talk with my son lol when I have a daughter I will prohibit tell her around 7 same age as when I told my son.I want him to not feel the way my husband does (eww gross don't talk about that) he's such a big baby lol understand that especially for a woman TTC it's a sad time
erinsmom1964
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:05 PM
My daughter just turned 6 and i have been telling about it for a few years.
artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2015 at 12:53 PM

I'm glad it went well and thanks for the info

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM

My dd is terrifyed of blood, she has seen the tampons sealed in their little bag and that's it; 2 days ago she asked what those were I said when you are older I'll tell you but that's something for older girls... If I try to tell her right now, it will be tears and panic; I'm so not ready for that...

Quoting wakymom:

Glad your first talk went well.

I started talking w/ my dd, 9 and 3rd gr, about periods (just the very bare-bones of them) when she was 4- she had followed me into the bathroom and asked why my pee was red. We've had several small, short talks since then, with my adding a little more info each time, as she has gotten older. It's pretty easy to talk about w/ her since she still follows me into the bathroom and has seen me change pads and tampons.

I gave dd the book The Care and Keeping of You, by American Girl, when she turned 7. She has been reading/re-reading it ever since. Great book!

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2015 at 2:23 PM
I started talking to my daughter about it when she was 5. Yesterday I chaperoned a group of 4 second grade girls at the zoo. When we were in the restroom, they started asking about the tampon / pad dispenser. It was difficult to find a way to answer their questions without giving them information their parents might not want to she with them yet.

3companytoo
by Member on May. 9, 2015 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought the same book and just gave it to her along with other books and gifts for her birthday. I was really laid back about it. When I noticed her reading it I just casually stared talking about it. She was 8 at the time.

Quoting wakymom:

lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2015 at 4:51 PM
Mine is in 2nd grade as well and just turned 8. I've been living in denial about hormones appearing but the other day I noticed that when we skipped a day on the weekend washing her hair the roots were super greasy. I inwardly panicked. It feels too early. I thought about buying that being you or whatever book from American Girl. Does anyone have an opinion on it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)