Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slightly OT, babies getting into older siblings things

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey everyone! So I have a question for those of you who have crawling kids. My DD is 6, and loves to color! She just got a new set of markers and crayons, as well as a coloring book from school from the Rainbow Bus. After homework, she wanted to color in the living room while watching Netflix. I said ok. However, DS, who just turned one, was also on the living room floor and instantly interested in DD's things. I try redirecting him, I give him his toys to play with, and it works for about 3-5 minutes, and then he goes after her things again. I don't want to confine her to her room, she has just as much right to be in the living room as he does, and I want him to continue to practice walking, so I don't wanna coop him up in his playpen. Any advice?? What do you mamas do to keep your younger ones out of older siblings things??

by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:08 PM
You need to teach her how to gently tell him no. Also, maybe you can get her a nice pencil case to keep her markers in, just so that they're nicely contained and more out of his reach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowKitten
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Yah, we're working on that. She'll tell him, kinda nice, lol,"Brother, no, these are mine," pull them out of his reach, and if that still doesn't work, then she calls for me. The pencil case is a good idea, will have to look into that.

Quoting beadingmom17: You need to teach her how to gently tell him no. Also, maybe you can get her a nice pencil case to keep her markers in, just so that they're nicely contained and more out of his reach.

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:06 AM
We used to let those things happen "up high" or in their room. If she is coloring it needs to be at a table...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:23 AM
I had no problem confining a baby to a playpen once the have been redirected a few times and refuse to move on. They will learn.
suomynona_amam
by on May. 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM
My kids are five, three and one. Dd's personal things go in her room. Things like crayons stay at the table and that is where they are used. My younger two started using crayons once they could stand at the table without being helped, around 10-11 months old.
A similar problem we have would be puzzles. Dd loves them, but the boys are just not puzzle friendly. She does them at the table and the boys do something, anything else. Yesterday she was doing her puzzles and I chased the boys up and down the hallway for five minutes to tire them out and make them forget about it. Then they ate a snack in the kitchen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 5:14 AM

Personally - I would have told her 'no' and colouring stays at the table. My reason for saying that is that my twins were sneaky little devils that would somehow (no matter how many pairs of eyes I kept on them) steal her pens/whatever and then draw on things later. I would explain to her that sometimes you have to make sacrificies; and that in this case needing the baby not to either draw on things or eat the crayons trumps her desire to draw with them.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM

In my house, coloring has always happened at a table.  That's just one of my rules to help keep our house nice and neat.  The thoughts of marker accidentally getting on my hardwood floors sends me into a panic that I can't quite explain.  

If she must color on the floor, then I would redirect the baby once or twice and then put him in his playpen.  He needs to learn that he can't have every thing that someone else has.  Not to mention, he has plenty of time to learn to walk and spending a half hour in the playpen while sister colors will not impact that.

ShadowKitten
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Thank you everyone, for the advice. I hadn't even thought about the table, lol! We have a small card table I can set up for her to color on so DS can't reach her stuff. All else fails, ya'll are right, and spending thirty minutes playing in his playpen won't hurt him. Thank you!

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I agree. Also I'm so glad I'm well past this stage. LOL. My house is a death trap for toddlers now. LOL.

Quoting steelcrazy:

In my house, coloring has always happened at a table.  That's just one of my rules to help keep our house nice and neat.  The thoughts of marker accidentally getting on my hardwood floors sends me into a panic that I can't quite explain.  

If she must color on the floor, then I would redirect the baby once or twice and then put him in his playpen.  He needs to learn that he can't have every thing that someone else has.  Not to mention, he has plenty of time to learn to walk and spending a half hour in the playpen while sister colors will not impact that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)