Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any other moms of MENSA kids?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:55 PM
  • 19 Replies
Hello! Our son is 7 years old and in 1st grade. He was accepted into MENSA at 5 years old. He is really having a hard time making friends. Any advice from fellow gifted kiddos moms?
by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CalliFlower
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My kid is 6 and starting 3rd grade next year. she is not a genius! But smart enough, lol!
She does have a hard time connecting to her classmates. They treat her like a doll
Or a trophy. So it's been hard, and it will be, I think.
It's not just that she is advanced, it is more that she is very logical and literal. Other kids don't like that.
I don't have any advice, but understand your quandary.
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Damn I wish I had advice. I'm glad DD is sociable
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Ds is smart and is doing ok socially. When he was younger he only wanted to play with kids a couple years older then him because they were easier to talk to.
Now he's in sports and other activities that help keep him around other kids. Sometimes I see where he doesn't fit in with his peers and other times he's very sociable.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids attend a gifted charter school so most of their friends are gifted not counting some neighbors and other friends outside of school. That helps immensely especially with our ds who has social issues to begin with. Try to find him intellectual peers that have the same interests that he does not looking at age. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I do not have a mensa kid , they do not have gifted classes but i do have a son with a high iq and dyslexia so we had some difficulty with friends.

One thing we found very effective was practicing friendship skills. So each week while at school we practiced a rule for being a good friend.

Play what the kids are playing even if you do not like it. Ask 3 kids something about what they did over the weekend (day before) and do not talk about yourself.

Etc. where i saw he needed work we added it in. He went from having no friends to being friends with everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM
Ds is homeschooled but he's doing 6th grade work this year at 7 years old. He has a hard time finding things in common with kids his age. He just wants to talk about science and history while they want to talk about minecraft and video games. He loves Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe, and classical musicians. he has started sitting out from the boys more and more because he just can't relate to them. They just don't want to play Revolutionary War or chemist.
aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:20 AM
I agree that involving him in something he enjoys will also help.

Though i think it is very important that he learns how to get along with his peers. It is hard to feel like you can not! They do not have to be exactly like him to be able to relate with! :) i think it would bring a great balance to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JSwiftNashville
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:25 AM
Hi. When did your child skip a grade? We are having the hardest time trying to push DS up! Thank goodness we have an IEP or it would be even harder. We go in next week to discuss moving him to 3rd grade next year. We are blessed to live in a big city. He attends classes at Vanderbilt University on the weekends.

It is a day at a time with these kiddos.

Quoting CalliFlower: My kid is 6 and starting 3rd grade next year. she is not a genius! But smart enough, lol!
She does have a hard time connecting to her classmates. They treat her like a doll
Or a trophy. So it's been hard, and it will be, I think.
It's not just that she is advanced, it is more that she is very logical and literal. Other kids don't like that.
I don't have any advice, but understand your quandary.
JSwiftNashville
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 1:27 AM
Hello. He is in a gifted pull out class and attends Vanderbilt Univeristy on Saturdays. That definitely helps. I just would like him to feel like he fits in during his regular class.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

My kids attend a gifted charter school so most of their friends are gifted not counting some neighbors and other friends outside of school. That helps immensely especially with our ds who has social issues to begin with. Try to find him intellectual peers that have the same interests that he does not looking at age. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM

That is probably not going to happen unless he has an intellectual or hobby based peer in his class. 

Quoting JSwiftNashville: Hello. He is in a gifted pull out class and attends Vanderbilt Univeristy on Saturdays. That definitely helps. I just would like him to feel like he fits in during his regular class.
Quoting momtoBrenna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)