Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just For Fun: 20 Things Every Home Used to Have & Are Pretty Much Extinct Now

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

20 Things Every Home Used to Have & Are Pretty Much Extinct Now
Jacqueline Burt Cote

Remember what life was like back in the days before smartphones took the place of about a thousand other devices? Remember the years when paper reigned supreme? Our homes looked a lot different, that's for sure! And even if some of us are still stubbornly holding on to certain outdated technologies (do you really need that CD player anymore?), there's no question that many of the everyday items we thought we couldn't live without just a few short years ago are now pretty much extinct.

Of course it goes without saying that before long, we'll be trading in our flatscreens and iPads for even more advanced technologies, and sure, some of these things might still be lingering in your home somewhere (overstaying their welcome!). But if you haven't already, get ready to say good-bye to the soon-to-be relics on this list!

Alarm Clock

Thanks to the alarm function on smartphones, hitting the snooze "button" is officially a thing of the past. (Sleeping late, however, is not.)

Phone Books

Let's see, should we Google that phone number or hunt through this ginormous book? Yeah, that's what I thought.

CD/DVD Player

Here's what's great about MP3s: They never skip, they don't take up any room, and they don't break in half. Sorry, CDs -- you lose!

Rolodex

It's called "Contacts," and it's on your phone.

Calculator

There's an app for that, and it doesn't require batteries!

Bookcase

Sad but true: Thanks to the growing popularity of e-Readers, sales of actual books with pages are on the decline.

Desktop Computer

Why be chained to a desk when you can take your laptop to Starbucks?

Maps

Thank you, GPS, for making these unwieldy road trip staples a distant memory.

Cable TV

Now that even major networks like HBO are following the streaming lead of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, your cable guy could be out of a job before long.

Printer

Sure, we still need to print out the occasional school paper or tax form, but with most business and agencies going paperless, you should be spending way less on ink cartridges these days!

Standing TV Sets

It's all about wall-mounted flatscreens nowadays

Photo Albums

Now that we all have cameras on our phones, we're taking more pictures than ever. But are we printing them out? Not so much.

Answering Machine

Once upon a time, before voicemail, there was ... the answering machine. And no one misses it at all.

Fax Machine

Bulky and temperamental, these can't go the way of the Dodo fast enough! Now most of us can fax through our computers, if we have to fax at all.

Newspapers

Just like video killed the radio star, internet killed the newspaper. RIP.

VCR

Even more dinosaur-like than DVD players, VCRs are truly relics of a time when the words "fast-forward" were part of your everyday vocabulary.

Incandescent Light Bulbs

Energy efficient, these are not. Time to get the LED out!

Stamps

There's a reason the USPS is on the verge of bankruptcy, and it's called email.

Land Line

Who even fills out the "home phone" line on contact forms anymore?

Encyclopedias

Do you still have any of these things at home?

Image via iStock.com/titanium doughnut

by on May. 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM

We still have and use - alarm clocks, phonebooks, cd/dvd player, rolodex, calculator, bookcase, desk top computer, maps, cable tv, printer, photo albums, answering machines, VCR, stamps, and land line.

We used to have - standing tv set and incandescent light bulbs.

We never had a fax machine, newpaper, or encycolpedias at our house. 

Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM

In our house, we no longer have: alarm clocks, phone books, a rolodex, desktop computer, maps, standing TV sets, answering machine, fax machine, newspapers, VCR, incandescent light bulbs, land lines or encyclopedias.

We do still have: DVD player (sons room), calculator (my office), bookcases (my office, for display purposes not books), cable TV, printer and stamps. 

I will proably always have cable TV, a printer because I do a lot of craft projects with it, stamps because I mail cards all the time and a calculator because it is fast and easy.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

We still have:

Alarms clocks

CD player (don't have to keep making sure it's charged like you do w/ an ipod.mp3 player!)

4 dvd players (1 in the family room, 1 in our bedroom, 1 in the guest room, and 1 in the camper for when we're stuck inside all day b/c of rain)

Calculators (not all schools let kids use the calculator on their phones or laptops)

Bookcases (We are a real book family, not an ereader one- no need to rememeber to recharge anything. That reminds me, we need on for dd's bedroom!)

Desktop computer (we can monitor what the kids are playing better)

Cable tv (have our internet through the cable company)

Printer (that's how we print out what pictures we do print, and we need to print out paystubs for our shop's employees, plus other things)

Standing tv's (I do not like having to look up to watch tv)

Photo albums (I do have a bunch of old pictures I haven't put in albums yet. Guess I should get on that before albums completely disappear. . . )

Answering machine (well, we don't have one anymore, but my parents do)

VCR (why should I go buy replacements of all my VHS movies when our VCR still works?)

Incandescent lightbulbs (I greatly prefer the light they give off to any other. Dh and I argue about this one a lot)

Stamps (not everything we have to report to the state for our shop has an online option, and we send a LOT of Christmas cards)

Land line (the kids do not have their own cell phones, the one they share is not for everyday use, and it's nice to have when cell service is out)

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM

We have most of these

LovlyRita
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM
We still use most of those. My desktop has more memory and is faster than even the cheapest laptop and was still cheaper. I actually prefer my answering machine to my voicemail. I can listen and screen my calls. I am paranoid about the long term affects of cell phones so I still use a landline while at home. Not to mention it's easier to hear on it.
mewebb82
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM
There are only 2 things on that list that aren't in my house......incandescent lights and encyclopedia
mom2boys664
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM
I have everything except a answering machine and encyclopedias.
flprincessmom
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

we still have a dvd player in DD9's room, but once that dies we will be replacing it with a bluray player, & I still have a wifi printer/scanner/copy machine that I use for her virtual homeschooling and printing internet coupons

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM

We actually have most of those at our house. The alarm clocks, phone books, cd player, calcultor, desk top computer, book cases, printer, standing tv set, maps,  lots of photo albums, newspapers, incandesent bulbs(bought for an easy bake over) an answering machine, stamps, and a land line

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM

I have every single thing on that list except for the light bulbs, we just finished switching to LED, and I am 22 years old so these things really aren't that outdated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)