Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

high back booster for 8 year old!

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM
  • 25 Replies

My dd is 8 and is ready to move to a high back booster ( She rides in a Britax frontier now) If you use one, which one do you have, pros? cons? I'm looking at either the Britax or Chicco one, does anyone have experience with either of these?

by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM
Why not just use her frontier in booster mode? My 8 year old used that before moving to a recaro booster because his little sister needed a new harnessed seat.
mommy2AMC
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I'm going to give it to my 6 year old. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Why not just use her frontier in booster mode? My 8 year old used that before moving to a recaro booster because his little sister needed a new harnessed seat.

lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM
Oh gosh, my just turned 8 year old is really ready to come out of her booster, I've just been too lazy to untether it. We used a Graco one and it's lasted years. She went into it when she was 5. You may want to consider a non backed booster as well, even if you just keep it in your trunk to use when she goes in other people's cars. This has been an issue for us when I would pick up kids. We have one spare in my husband's truck bit that's it.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Then I highly suggest the recaro. It is so nice and cheaper than the britax one. I'm a britax person but after seeing them side by side I liked this one better. He has already outgrown cheap ones like the graco and evenflo boosters.

Quoting mommy2AMC:

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Why not just use her frontier in booster mode? My 8 year old used that before moving to a recaro booster because his little sister needed a new harnessed seat.

mommy2AMC
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't like no back boosters. She's really small for her age ( not even on the charts small) so she needs the highback.

Quoting lizfnf: Oh gosh, my just turned 8 year old is really ready to come out of her booster, I've just been too lazy to untether it. We used a Graco one and it's lasted years. She went into it when she was 5. You may want to consider a non backed booster as well, even if you just keep it in your trunk to use when she goes in other people's cars. This has been an issue for us when I would pick up kids. We have one spare in my husband's truck bit that's it.

mommy2AMC
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I will definitely look into the Recaro! I didn't know they made high back boosters, but have heard great things about their 5pt harness seats!

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Then I highly suggest the recaro. It is so nice and cheaper than the britax one. I'm a britax person but after seeing them side by side I liked this one better. He has already outgrown cheap ones like the graco and evenflo boosters.
Quoting mommy2AMC:

lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Not for every day with a no back, but they are handy in a pinch. Mine is a giant though. She was 51 inches over the winter and it's obvious she's grown since then so I don't have to worry about it shifting around on her once she's in it.

Quoting mommy2AMC:

I personally don't like no back boosters. She's really small for her age ( not even on the charts small) so she needs the highback.

Quoting lizfnf: Oh gosh, my just turned 8 year old is really ready to come out of her booster, I've just been too lazy to untether it. We used a Graco one and it's lasted years. She went into it when she was 5. You may want to consider a non backed booster as well, even if you just keep it in your trunk to use when she goes in other people's cars. This has been an issue for us when I would pick up kids. We have one spare in my husband's truck bit that's it.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I hesitated because the old model was tipsy according to a lot of people but the new one is not.

Quoting mommy2AMC:

I will definitely look into the Recaro! I didn't know they made high back boosters, but have heard great things about their 5pt harness seats!

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Then I highly suggest the recaro. It is so nice and cheaper than the britax one. I'm a britax person but after seeing them side by side I liked this one better. He has already outgrown cheap ones like the graco and evenflo boosters.

Quoting mommy2AMC:

mommy2AMC
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Mine is only 45 inches ( same height as my 6 year old) and only weights 48lbs. She doesn't really ride in other people's car execpt mom's every so often but I always just move her seat from my car to hers. 

Quoting lizfnf: Not for every day with a no back, but they are handy in a pinch. Mine is a giant though. She was 51 inches over the winter and it's obvious she's grown since then so I don't have to worry about it shifting around on her once she's in it.
Quoting mommy2AMC:

mommy2AMC
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Are they really wide? I'm looking at them online now and they look huge!

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I hesitated because the old model was tipsy according to a lot of people but the new one is not.
Quoting mommy2AMC:

Quoting mommy2AMC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)