Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do kids become so mean?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM
  • 25 Replies
I'm not going to say my dd is a saint but I have done my best to raise her to be a kind and considerate person, to not call others names, to be respectful among other things.
I honestly don't know if with other kids she is like that or not but have never had any complaints from teachers or parents.

Now she comes home with all this stories from school of kids being mean to her or others and I wonder what goes wrong for us humans to be bad to others.

At some points kids were taking dd's lunch and snacks, one kid gets sent to the office at least 2x a week another one is always by himself because no one likes him and then dd was hanging out with a kid until she called her ST (stupid in their "language") because dd was asking her questions and this girl didn't want to answer.
My memory sucks so I hardly remember 1st grade so I don't remember kids being like that, I do imagine it has always happened but wonder how and when things begging to go south.

What are your thoughts?
by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Bump
lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this
At that age I believe a child's poor behavior reflects on the parents. I'm not talking about children with actual issues, but this "mean girl" crap starting in kindergarten is definitely a reflection on the parents. Show me as an asshole kid and I bet you'll quickly find their douche canoe parent.
cryssor
by New Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM
Often it's learned.... But occasionally its inherent. My brother had a dark streak in him since he was a toddler despite my parents best efforts.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 17, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Bump
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Exactly. And at our school the douche canoe parents are all in the PTA.

Quoting lizfnf: At that age I believe a child's poor behavior reflects on the parents. I'm not talking about children with actual issues, but this "mean girl" crap starting in kindergarten is definitely a reflection on the parents. Show me as an asshole kid and I bet you'll quickly find their douche canoe parent.
lizfnf
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM
Yes! Though ours is a pto. Those mothers are the worst. I've given up trying to help them out and just help out my daughter's teacher when she needs it instead.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Exactly. And at our school the douche canoe parents are all in the PTA.

Quoting lizfnf: At that age I believe a child's poor behavior reflects on the parents. I'm not talking about children with actual issues, but this "mean girl" crap starting in kindergarten is definitely a reflection on the parents. Show me as an asshole kid and I bet you'll quickly find their douche canoe parent.
horcruxnumber8
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM
It could be the parents but some kids come from really nice parents and peer pressure makes them feel like there is no other way to act.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:01 PM

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree . . .

Rin300
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM
I blame the parents for a child's bad behaviour
3companytoo
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:29 PM

I think some parents are more interested in being friends than disciplinarians. Kids are coddled and have this crazy sense of entitlement now. I have a ton of fun with my children but they have been raised to be polite and respectful. We keep it old school over here :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)