Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't get it

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM
  • 43 Replies
Hi

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind summer homework?

If it's to prevent kids from forgetting what they had learned and they do all the homework the first 2 weeks of vacation, then they will have the rest of the summer to forget.

Growing up I never had summer homework and we didn't have to go back too much to get into the subjects again, I guess there was time schedule for that at the beginning of the school year.
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Ds has a packet of writing and Math work, but it's not due,mand it's something to pull out on rainy days or when she's bored. She also has a picture journal where she draws pics of what we do over the summer. It's mostly to keep skills fresh. Kids can forget skills if you don't keep their brains active.

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:22 PM
Dd's is mandatory and graded, reading and math.
She'll be away for 6 weeks and then in day camp she'll be very busy to deal with busy work. She will turn it in on time but I find it pointless.

Quoting MommyHuman:

Ds has a packet of writing and Math work, but it's not due,mand it's something to pull out on rainy days or when she's bored. She also has a picture journal where she draws pics of what we do over the summer. It's mostly to keep skills fresh. Kids can forget skills if you don't keep their brains active.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Summer work is to keep skills polished and brains working. An hour a day/every two days or less won't kill anyone and frankly it can mean starting off the next school year behind. Kids/adults should be reading regularly too. Why should math and reading not be practiced too!?

momager2two
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time I personally have ever heard of summer work is in high school when taking ap classes. Especially english. They had a list of required books to read so they could jump right in. At least this is how it was when I was in school.
PeppermintyTea
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:57 PM
I think my kids get too much homework as is, and if they get Summer homework I'm going to think that's stupid also. I won't tell them that, but I will be thinking it.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Our school doesn't assign any summer homework, although they do strongly encourage children to read over the summer.  The school library is open one day a week for a few hours for the kids to come get books and take AR tests.

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I think vacation is vacation, that they should practice some things, sure, that it should be mandatory? No.

Dd will read every day (regardless of homework) and she loves working on math workbooks in her own.

Quoting mjande4:

Summer work is to keep skills polished and brains working. An hour a day/every two days or less won't kill anyone and frankly it can mean starting off the next school year behind. Kids/adults should be reading regularly too. Why should math and reading not be practiced too!?

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM
I am with you 100%

Quoting PeppermintyTea: I think my kids get too much homework as is, and if they get Summer homework I'm going to think that's stupid also. I won't tell them that, but I will be thinking it.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Then why are you being so negative about keeping her skills up!? If I were you I would be grateful that the teachers cared enough about the kids' success next year that they put practice work together. Parents and kids in most other countries where education is not free, would be jumping for joy. SMH

Quoting artemisa3001: I think vacation is vacation, that they should practice some things, sure, that it should be mandatory? No. Dd will read every day (regardless of homework) and she loves working on math workbooks in her own.
Quoting mjande4:

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM
My kids' school is doing Summer work for the first time. Ds's was sent home on the last day along with the extra packet that I asked for. We don't have dd's yet because they haven't finalized her placements for next year, yet. I signed them both up for a free online math program called tenmarks on top of the other stuff. There are kids who can slide back an entire year in math and reading if they don't practice over the Summer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)