Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE...Does your child's school or teacher

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:40 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
suggest/tell your kids to call the National Food Safety person (in your district) to let them know that they are not sending the school enough food for lunches? My son's teacher told her class to call and gave them her name, phone number and email. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but then I decided that she is just looking out for the kids. My son called before I knew anything about it. I asked him if his teacher told the kids to ask their parents first, but he said he wasn't completely listening. He thinks she might have, but wasn't positive

My son came home and I asked him about lunch. He was so happy and said "they had so much food, they even had left overs"!
I was so happy...I believe the kids learned a valuable lesson. They learn to voice their opinions the right way.
My mom came by to pick the kids up and my son and I were telling her about it. My son said tonight that they have been running out of food like 4 days a week since they started. I was shocked and asked him why he never told me. He just shrug his shoulders. I sent a message to his teacher and thanking her for helping the kids. She is technically his substitute teacher and I've known her for a couple of yrs. I'm gonna find out exactly how long it's been going on and the reason why it took the kids to say something to fix it. Then I'll let the secretary know that parents need to be notified, they secretary and I get along great and she really would try to hardest to get word to me, even if it's just reminding my son to tell me.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Have you been to lunch to see how much food is being served?  

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:44 AM

No.. but then again our kids are getting adequate lunch portions. :/

kgsharber
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:44 AM
I'm in Texas. Here, it's up to the cafeteria manager to order the correct amount of food, but potion sizes are crazy small. For example, popcorn chicken they get 8 pieces. That's nothing for an 8th grade heading to football practice.
mommytoeandb
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM
Are they running out of food or does she think the portions are too small? Weird.
Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM
No I haven't, but thinking about it going on Monday. It's not the serving size, it's the fact that they are running out of food by the time 3rd grade has lunch

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Have you been to lunch to see how much food is being served?  

Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM
Running out. I only knew they ran out once till yesterday

Quoting mommytoeandb: Are they running out of food or does she think the portions are too small? Weird.
Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM
I always thought that was the cafeteria lady's job too, but I guess I was wrong. They are running out of food

Quoting kgsharber: I'm in Texas. Here, it's up to the cafeteria manager to order the correct amount of food, but potion sizes are crazy small. For example, popcorn chicken they get 8 pieces. That's nothing for an 8th grade heading to football practice.
Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:52 AM
Portion sizes are fine. They are running out of food. My son is in 3rd grade and has last lunch. They are out of the lunch food and so he gets PBJ sandwiches. He has had that all week. I knew it happened once until yesterday.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

No.. but then again our kids are getting adequate lunch portions. :/

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM
Wow that's crazy. They should make sure to have enough food for EVERYONE
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Depending on the age, I think this is great. Giving children the tools to speak up and solve their own problems is a priceless lesson.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)