Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switching Schools

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM
  • 10 Replies

Dh and I are house hunting. We are looking at houses in two neighboring school districts.

Right now the plan is for dd to finish the school year in her current school. The district has open enrollment so even after we move there is no pressure to move her.

However one of clients suggested I move her immediately after closing regardless of what time of the year it is (we are aiming for Jan/Feb) because it will help her adjust socially to the new community and have friends for summer.

I moved a lot as a kid and I see where she's coming from.  Does anyone have experience with switching their kids schools mid -year? Was it positive/negative? Teachers what are your thoughts on kids transfering mid-year??

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM

No clue... we homeschool and will be moving in the next 2 years so my girls will actually go to public school for the first time in their lives once we move.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:00 PM

We are a military family and moved with the kids three times resulting in two school changes.  The changes can be positive or negative, depending on what type of personalities your kids have, how you present the move and the condition of the new school.  We have been lucky never to have had to move mid-year.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM
We have never moved mid year.
Bump
Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:23 PM

My youngest is excited about moving. She asked if she would be changing schools right away and when I assured her she wouldn't have to she seemed disapointed. I guess there is no point in thinking to far ahead. Right now I am still packing our current house and need to find our new one.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

We are a military family and moved with the kids three times resulting in two school changes.  The changes can be positive or negative, depending on what type of personalities your kids have, how you present the move and the condition of the new school.  We have been lucky never to have had to move mid-year.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Packing, selling and house hunting.  Lots of fun.  It was the first few times.

Quoting Sydel:

My youngest is excited about moving. She asked if she would be changing schools right away and when I assured her she wouldn't have to she seemed disapointed. I guess there is no point in thinking to far ahead. Right now I am still packing our current house and need to find our new one.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:12 PM
We moved mid-year when the oldest was in Kinder. It didn't affect him either way.

We moved mid-year when we bought this house, but since we homeschool it wasn't a big deal at all. The kids actually had friends from Boy Scouts that live down the road so they were excited. We were also able to take a couple weeks off so the kids could help pack and unpack and get settled without the stress of studies and homework. I had them work a clue extra days over Easter and tacked on a week at the end of our normal year.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I would look at the issue of transportation and travel time and do what is best for the whole family. I do T think either will have any trauma either way so do whichever. You could let the younger transfer if she is excited and wait for the older. What would it matter since they are already in different schools?
Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:17 PM

The oldest won't be changing schools at all. But I like what you are saying. I dont' think it's selfish. I think she would be fine. But I have heard it's really difficult for some kids or worry that the district will be on another level learning wise and throw her all off. But I would light weight rather find out in 3rd grade if the new district is more advance so I have the summer to work with her and/or send her to summer school. Vs waiting until next year then trying to help her during the school year.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We moved mid-year when the oldest was in Kinder. It didn't affect him either way. We moved mid-year when we bought this house, but since we homeschool it wasn't a big deal at all. The kids actually had friends from Boy Scouts that live down the road so they were excited. We were also able to take a couple weeks off so the kids could help pack and unpack and get settled without the stress of studies and homework. I had them work a clue extra days over Easter and tacked on a week at the end of our normal year. Maybe I'm selfish, but I would look at the issue of transportation and travel time and do what is best for the whole family. I do T think either will have any trauma either way so do whichever. You could let the younger transfer if she is excited and wait for the older. What would it matter since they are already in different schools?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:19 PM
I can't imagine a District being that advanced it would require summer school to catch up when changing schools. It would not take lo g to get her into a new routine and kick butt. :)

Quoting Sydel:

The oldest won't be changing schools at all. But I like what you are saying. I dont' think it's selfish. I think she would be fine. But I have heard it's really difficult for some kids or worry that the district will be on another level learning wise and throw her all off. But I would light weight rather find out in 3rd grade if the new district is more advance so I have the summer to work with her and/or send her to summer school. Vs waiting until next year then trying to help her during the school year.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We moved mid-year when the oldest was in Kinder. It didn't affect him either way.

We moved mid-year when we bought this house, but since we homeschool it wasn't a big deal at all. The kids actually had friends from Boy Scouts that live down the road so they were excited. We were also able to take a couple weeks off so the kids could help pack and unpack and get settled without the stress of studies and homework. I had them work a clue extra days over Easter and tacked on a week at the end of our normal year.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I would look at the issue of transportation and travel time and do what is best for the whole family. I do T think either will have any trauma either way so do whichever. You could let the younger transfer if she is excited and wait for the older. What would it matter since they are already in different schools?

Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL We bought our current house in 2007. I wish I could say that the home we are looking for now is our forever home. But truth is once my girls are grown and established, I'd like to relocate. I want a tiny house or a condo and to move out of Ohio.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Packing, selling and house hunting.  Lots of fun.  It was the first few times.

Quoting Sydel:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:22 PM

True I'm just nervous because she struggled in Kinder and 1st. Shes on track now. I've spoken to her teacher a few times as well as the back to school teachers who all say she's doing amazing this year and making a true effort. But I know her reading isn't as advance and in 3rd grade reading is a big deal. So I just get nervous.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I can't imagine a District being that advanced it would require summer school to catch up when changing schools. It would not take lo g to get her into a new routine and kick butt. :)
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We moved mid-year when the oldest was in Kinder. It didn't affect him either way. We moved mid-year when we bought this house, but since we homeschool it wasn't a big deal at all. The kids actually had friends from Boy Scouts that live down the road so they were excited. We were also able to take a couple weeks off so the kids could help pack and unpack and get settled without the stress of studies and homework. I had them work a clue extra days over Easter and tacked on a week at the end of our normal year. Maybe I'm selfish, but I would look at the issue of transportation and travel time and do what is best for the whole family. I do T think either will have any trauma either way so do whichever. You could let the younger transfer if she is excited and wait for the older. What would it matter since they are already in different schools?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)