Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proud of DD but need some advise! (gifted program)

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

We jsut found out that DD got into the gifted program. In our district it is a one day a week pull out program starting in 3rd grade. There is an every day program that runs for 5th through 8th grade.

DD will check into class on Tuesdays then leave to catch a bus to the other school. None of her friends are going and I am not sure if any other 3rd graders from her school make it in. It is for the top 3% district wide and we have 34 elementary schools in the district.

We have been working really hard on modesty/humility and thinking before you speak about how it will make the other person feel. I know she weill be asked "where are you or do you go?" That's easy as the program is called Tessera. The hard part for me to come up with an answer to is "What is that or what is Tessera?" I have told her to just say it is a  gifted program as I don't want her to say its for smart kids or some other smart alecky response. Does anybody have any other ideas for how she can respond?

The parent orientation is tonight. Are there any questions I should be asking?

Thanks everyone.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM

DD has been in a gifted program since 2nd grade and moved to a gifted center for the last year of primary and is in the gifted program in junior high. She's in 8th grade taking 5 high school courses this year and will start taking college courses next year. 

I honestly can't think of questions off hand but I do suggest attending some seminars on how to parent gifted kids.

I have gone to a few and they were really informative.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I honestly have no idea what I'd ask with a program like that. Our district doesn't run their gifted, or high ability (HA), program like that. Dd is in the HA program, but she isn't pulled out like that. All the HA kids are in one class, and when the class breaks into groups to work on math or reading, the HA kids are in one group, and the other kids are broken up into a couple of groups. For math, the HA kids are sometimes taken out into the hallway for instruction, but that's the closest to being pulled out that they get.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM
I struggle with this too. I homeschool but I want to mark the grade level off of every book Ds owns! When someone tells him he's so smart or tells me that in front of him I feel like telling them to be quiet so he doesn't know. However I have yet to figure out how to accomplish this.
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM

That's part of the problem, she knows she the smartest in her class and that she is the youngest too. I too wish there was a way for her not to know.

I am really truly hoping that there are some that are quicker and brighter than she in the gitfed program.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I struggle with this too. I homeschool but I want to mark the grade level off of every book Ds owns! When someone tells him he's so smart or tells me that in front of him I feel like telling them to be quiet so he doesn't know. However I have yet to figure out how to accomplish this.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Good forbid in our district if you break the kids up by ability. Little Johnny's folks would be in an uproar. We have those who think there should no special school or classes to those who already have it so easy by being smart. The smart kids should be used as teachers aids.

Quoting wakymom:

I honestly have no idea what I'd ask with a program like that. Our district doesn't run their gifted, or high ability (HA), program like that. Dd is in the HA program, but she isn't pulled out like that. All the HA kids are in one class, and when the class breaks into groups to work on math or reading, the HA kids are in one group, and the other kids are broken up into a couple of groups. For math, the HA kids are sometimes taken out into the hallway for instruction, but that's the closest to being pulled out that they get.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:26 PM

I haven't come across much in our area. We do have group called Prodigy NW that offers support groups, articles, tips, etc. I think they have a workshop once a year but we have always had a conflict.

I have heard rumors that they will be backing the everyday full time program back to 4th grade for next year but we have nothing at the high school level.

Quoting Sydel:

DD has been in a gifted program since 2nd grade and moved to a gifted center for the last year of primary and is in the gifted program in junior high. She's in 8th grade taking 5 high school courses this year and will start taking college courses next year. 

I honestly can't think of questions off hand but I do suggest attending some seminars on how to parent gifted kids.

I have gone to a few and they were really informative.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM
See since he's homeschooled he doesn't usually have the ability to compare. His math book doesn't say grade level so that one isn't an issue yet. Being in zeta doesn't mean much to most people. But next year his math book will say prealgebra and that does. His writing book says grade 6 on every page and I really wish I had the energy to just cross it all out.
I just want him to be him.

Quoting 2-point-doe:

That's part of the problem, she knows she the smartest in her class and that she is the youngest too. I too wish there was a way for her not to know.

I am really truly hoping that there are some that are quicker and brighter than she in the gitfed program.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I struggle with this too. I homeschool but I want to mark the grade level off of every book Ds owns! When someone tells him he's so smart or tells me that in front of him I feel like telling them to be quiet so he doesn't know. However I have yet to figure out how to accomplish this.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Congrats to your dd but I have no help. My kids attend a full time gifted school that runs K-8 so all of the kids are gifted. Some go ahead for subject accelerations and the 5th-8th graders are ability grouped across all core subjects. 

cali_gurl
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Congrats! She should be proud to say it is a gifted program. Just tell her to leave it at that.

clairewait
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Tessera.

Omigosh that's a blast from the past.

I just had my 3rd grader (oldest child) tested for academic giftedness. We were at private school until this year so it wasn't part of the curriculum and she wasn't therefore tested in 2nd grade. In our school, "AG" is a separate class for reading and math, every day.

We haven't got the results yet, but this child has always been ahead of her peers verbally, and she's a firstborn in many senses of the role. Socially, she's sort of doomed. I set it up this way: I told her, first, this doesn't mean she's "smart." It just means she thinks and learns differently than other kids, and needs different kinds of challenges. That's what I will emphasize if it turns out she qualifies for the AG program.

But on a completely realistic note, I realize that the fact is, if my child is truly gifted, she's never going to be like the majority of her peers, and that's fine. She needs to be surrounded by other intellectual kids who think on the level she thinks. And while humility is definitely a good thing, at some point she's going to know where she stands in relation to the rest of society, which is, on the whole, largely stupid, let's be honest.

I'm actually a little bit okay with the sheltering aspect of these programs, so these kids can get together and challenge each other. If we were in a situation where this wasn't an option, we'd be going back to private school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)