Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 yr old not doing his homework while at the YMCA child care

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM
  • 25 Replies
I need help. My 10 yr old boy doesnt do his homework in tje assigned time to do it at the Y. I need him to finish since he has soccer practice after I pick him up, so he has no time afterwards. I have talked to the staff but most times they are busy monitoring all kids. How do I motivate my son to do his?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:58 PM

I'm sure that natural consequences will work wonders.  Basically let him blow off homework and face the music the next day with his teacher.  I'm sure that there are consequences at school for not doing homework.  I would suggest that you email the teacher and let her know that he is refusing to do it.

spooky415
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM
5 moms liked this
He has to do the homework or he can't go to soccer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sebastiansmom05
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM
Thank you. I havent tried that, but he has missed some already and his grades are lowering, Im all for natural consequences, but cant let him fail the year, middle school is on the line.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm sure that natural consequences will work wonders.  Basically let him blow off homework and face the music the next day with his teacher.  I'm sure that there are consequences at school for not doing homework.  I would suggest that you email the teacher and let her know that he is refusing to do it.

Sebastiansmom05
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:05 PM
Tried that, didnt work. He really likes soccer and all that happened was that he didnt do any homework at all at the Y, ever

Quoting spooky415: He has to do the homework or he can't go to soccer.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:29 PM

I agree with steelcrazy. Let the natural consequences take care of it.

Ds1 tried that a few times in 2nd gr. I let the teacher know he was flat-out refusing to do the homework, and she had him stay in at recess to do it. After 2-3 missed recesses, he stopped refusing to do it. He still fought it- whined, procrastinated, did everything he could to stall, but did it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Then you have a really big natural consequence to hang over his head.  Use it to your advantage.  

Quoting Sebastiansmom05: Thank you. I havent tried that, but he has missed some already and his grades are lowering, Im all for natural consequences, but cant let him fail the year, middle school is on the line.
Quoting steelcrazy:

paxtonsunny
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM
Don't have him in soccer until he does his homework. If he is not responsible enough for homework he sure shouldn't be playing soccer. School is way more important.
spooky415
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM
*facepalm

Quoting Sebastiansmom05: Tried that, didnt work. He really likes soccer and all that happened was that he didnt do any homework at all at the Y, ever

Quoting spooky415: He has to do the homework or he can't go to soccer.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM
Not my first pick for discipline at his age, but if negative or natural cosequences are not working, have you tried rewards?

My KGer gets screen time when he does his homework at the Y. If not he does his homework before bed.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM

no homework

no soccer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)