Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many full outfits do younger elementary kids need?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM
  • 35 Replies

For younger elementary kids (k-2) how many outfits do you kids have. 

My kids have way way too much clothing.  Some of it was out of habit when they were potty learning and some of it came from having hand me downs from older cousins.  Either way I can literally go three weeks without laundry if I wanted to.  I typically wash clothing for the kids twice a week. 

Our weather is kind of volatile right now.  It can be 70 one day then in the 40's the next.  I'd like to have enough clothing so that they have what they need, but right now both kids have way too much.  I do not think that their current warm weather clothing will fit next year. 

Thanks for the input. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:54 AM
I honestly never counted clothes. OK, well, briefly when they had school uniforms, I made sure ethey had enough to get through the week.

Now, I just wash as needed and as long as they have decent things they like, they are fine.
nicki.hemingway
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Our issue right now is the kids just have too much clothing.  I'd like to slim down their wardrobes a bit. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I honestly never counted clothes. OK, well, briefly when they had school uniforms, I made sure ethey had enough to get through the week. Now, I just wash as needed and as long as they have decent things they like, they are fine.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I try to make sure they have 5-7 pairs of bottoms for each season. With these back-and-forth temps, I aim for about 3 of each season that fit and do laundry a bit more often if needed for a few weeks until I get them up to that 5-7 pairs.

They always seem to have too many shirts. Ds1 seems to have stopped growing, but I still get him 1-2 new ones each season so he's not always wearing the same thing. Ds2 gets hand-me-downs from ds1, plus 2-3 new ones so he's not always stuck with his brother's old things. I just tend to go a little overboard with dd since she's the only girl : )

nicki.hemingway
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Thanks I think I am going to do 5 pants and maybe 2 shorts/skirt per kid.  I've been doing 1 drawer at a time per kid just to get an accurate count.  Yeah goodwill is going to be happy later tonight. 

My 5 year old is a boy and 4 year old is a girl.  Both are in the same size.  We have a ton of cousins though so I get more hand me downs then I know what to do with.  I do save some clothing for my younger son and I have 1 box of "girly" little stuff in case my soon to be last baby is a girl.

Quoting wakymom:

I try to make sure they have 5-7 pairs of bottoms for each season. With these back-and-forth temps, I aim for about 3 of each season that fit and do laundry a bit more often if needed for a few weeks until I get them up to that 5-7 pairs.

They always seem to have too many shirts. Ds1 seems to have stopped growing, but I still get him 1-2 new ones each season so he's not always wearing the same thing. Ds2 gets hand-me-downs from ds1, plus 2-3 new ones so he's not always stuck with his brother's old things. I just tend to go a little overboard with dd since she's the only girl : )

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Ideally I would have 5 bottoms of each variety (long and short), and at least 8 shirts. Making sure that things can be mixed and matched, so they aren't wearing the same outfit all the time. Plus extra things like sweaters for when it's nippy.

My kids have more than that, but that's an at least amount for me. As long as their clothes fit in their dressers and the drawers close, I'm not too worried about it. ;)

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM

5-7 pairs of season appropriate bottoms (shorts, thin pants, warmer pants) . Sometimes that overlaps. Also a weeks worth of tops. Short sleeve for spring summer and early fall and long sleeve for fall and winter. Plus a handfull of sweaters and sweatshirts for really cold days.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM

My kids are homeschooled, but...

Lilly ( 4th grade) has 7 pairs of jeans, a few shirts and a few sweaters..same with my youngest in 2nd grade. They both have a ton of pjs, panties, socks, and of course their Karate Gis and homeschool music group shirts.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM

How many do they need? One. How many are the ideal minimum? I'd say one for every day of the week. My younger kids, 2 year olds, have enough that they could probably go 3-4 weeks without me doing laundry. My eight year old son has enough that he could probably go two weeks, which I think is ideal. He has enough of a variety so he isn't wearing the same things everyday, but without having so much that he doesn't wear half his clothing and we have no place to put it. We get a lot of hand me downs and my aunt loves buying clothes for the toddlers, so they have a bit more, not an absurd amount but enough that we are weeding them out and donating things that they don't wear often.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM

My kids have too many clothes. I just did a clean out of the youngest dd's clothes. She went up two sizes between last fall and now. She owns 5 uniform pants, 3 jumpers, and 1 skirt plus 10 polos. She barely has any regular clothes. So I will be hitting up Children's Place soon. I will buy what I like. I never really have a set limit.

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM
My kids are in uniforms. But prior to that, I usually had 7 to 8 bottoms and 12 to 14 tops. And 2 or 3 light jackets.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)