Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How well do you know history?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM
  • 44 Replies

I was at a scrapbooking crop on Saturday and talked with a couple ladies I've been seeing at scrapbooking events for probably over 5 years. We somehow got on the topic of history and she said that her history teacher spent the entire school year until April talking about the Revoluntionary War, and maybe the Civil War, but that WWI on got crammed into the last month of the school year. So she said she knows very little about WWI and WWII. So I said "Well, Germany was our enemy is both and Russia/Soviet Union was our ally in both" (stating basic facts that can seem surprising now). She said "really?" in a tone that said she hadn't known that. She then said asked if the Great Depression was right after WWI - and I told her no, it was 10 years later, that WWI ended in 1918, then we had the Roaring 20s when our economy boomed and it all came crashing down with the stock market crash in 1929.

I was honestly surprised that she knew so little about that time period. She loves to read (she'd already talked about how she'd love to spend the night in the library reading books she doesn't have time to read) and she is intelligent.  She just hasn't fixed the gap she was left with regarding history. There are so many historical fiction books about the time period that it amazes me she hasn't read enough of them to at least fill in some gaps.

How well do you know history? Do you have any big gaps? Do you know what you don't know?

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I love history, so any gaps school left I filled on my own. I especially love ancient civilizations like Egypt, Rome, and Greece. I'm sure there's stuff I don't know, but I wouldn't know what it is if I don't know! LOL.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I have absolutly no interest in the ancient civilizations, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.  I'm pretty well versed in US History, but then again we spent 2 full years on it in HS as well as a year of Civics in middle school.  HS was rounded out with a year of Ancient History and a year of World History.  I don't recall taking any history courses in college.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I don't have much interest in ancient civilizations, either.  Even fiction about them doesn't grab my interest (which is really saying something).

I'm too old to remember how much time I spent learning history in school. But I know I got the basics covered - and I've spent so much time reading since then that my knowledge, esp of U.S. history, is pretty deep.

I don't know much about Asian history, though. That is something I need to do more reading about.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I have absolutly no interest in the ancient civilizations, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.  I'm pretty well versed in US History, but then again we spent 2 full years on it in HS as well as a year of Civics in middle school.  HS was rounded out with a year of Ancient History and a year of World History.  I don't recall taking any history courses in college.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I'm in my mid-40's and still remember my classes from HS . . .

Quoting GwenMB:

I don't have much interest in ancient civilizations, either.  Even fiction about them doesn't grab my interest (which is really saying something).

I'm too old to remember how much time I spent learning history in school. But I know I got the basics covered - and I've spent so much time reading since then that my knowledge, esp of U.S. history, is pretty deep.

I don't know much about Asian history, though. That is something I need to do more reading about.

Quoting steelcrazy:

jamianne
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM

How well I know history would depend on the region and time period.  I loved American Civil War history when I was younger so I read anything and everything I could about it.  I minored in Western European history in college.  Otherwise, I may know something about major people, events, or dates but it would be hit or miss.  From what I remember we had a fairly well-rounded history curriculum in school but I know there's a lot more that we didn't learn.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what my gaps are but I'm sure I have some. Both my parents are history buffs. I grew up visiting museums and watching history channel as well as doing additional reports on historical figures my mom felt I should know. I feel like you never stop learning in life. So I'm not embaressed to admit if I don't know something. I just haven't learned it yet.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM

My high school history teacher was a drunk. It was basically study hall then 2 days before midterm and final he gave us the answers. Not that I complained. Thankfully DH is a history nut but I am not a total dounce on the topic. I got the big stuff, revolutionary war, civil war, WWI, WWII, great depression, prohibition, sufferage, civil rights movement and even some ancient stuff. I  have a good grasp on the major things in past decades but ask me exact dates and forget it. I am better with civics then history.

shellybird
by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Most of the history I know came from my father or tv.  Isn't that horrible.

When I went to HS we got throw the civil war and that was about it.  Though I remember in my jr year that we spent a good amount of time watching a LONG film about the life of President Teddy Rosevelt.  If your wanted to learn more about history you could take extra classes that were offered but at the age of 16-18 do you really want to take those classes or pottery, jewerly making or get an extra study hall.  I regret not taking those classes and I feel that I should start reading more about our world as a whole because I know I do not know enough. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Exact dates aren't as important, IMO, as knowing what happened and approximately when. For example, knowing WWI was about 100 years ago is more important than knowing it was from 1914-1918 (in Europe anyway).

Quoting ljmom24:

My high school history teacher was a drunk. It was basically study hall then 2 days before midterm and final he gave us the answers. Not that I complained. Thankfully DH is a history nut but I am not a total dounce on the topic. I got the big stuff, revolutionary war, civil war, WWI, WWII, great depression, prohibition, sufferage, civil rights movement and even some ancient stuff. I  have a good grasp on the major things in past decades but ask me exact dates and forget it. I am better with civics then history.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM

I agree that we should never stop learning. We are doing the same thing with our boys - exposing them to lots of history through visiting places, going to programs, reading books etc.  The local library & university are doing a commemoration of WWI where they have speakers talk about the various events of WWI as they happened (so we are talking about 1915 now).  My boys beg to go. The last one we went to, the history teacher from the high school was the presenter. My boys talked with him afterward & impressed him with their knowledge of WWI. They have an in with their future history teacher now! :)  (Assuming nothing changes & they continue to see him occasionally.)

Quoting Sydel:

I don't know what my gaps are but I'm sure I have some. Both my parents are history buffs. I grew up visiting museums and watching history channel as well as doing additional reports on historical figures my mom felt I should know. I feel like you never stop learning in life. So I'm not embaressed to admit if I don't know something. I just haven't learned it yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)