Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarden Teachers

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

Have any of you found that some teachers are better equiped to teach boys over girls or vice versa?  If so, how does it manifest itself?  If the teacher is stronger at teaching girls, does it seem like the boys are getting pulled aside and constantly being disciplined for bad behavior, e.g. being to active, not sitting still, etc.?   I have read theories that boys and girls learn differently.  Do you think the schools in your area take that into consideration? Do you think there is a difference between teachers in public schools versus private schools?

What would you do if you thought your child (boy or girl) was not being taught in the manner with which you expected?  I am not saying the teacher is a bad teacher, just better equiped with teaching one set of children (e.g. girls) over the other (e.g. boys).  Just curious!

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM

I did not find that to be true with the teachers my kids had- and I would've noticed b/c ds2 and dd had the same teacher. I work in dd's school lunchroom and see the teachers interact with the kids before and after lunch, and have not noticed any difference in how they treat the boys vs the girls when we tell them of any problems we've had.

At the elementary ds1 and ds2 went to (dd started there), I did hear from other parents there was 1 teacher (taught kndergarten for a few years, then was moved to 1st gr) who seemed to favor girls (my kids never had her), but I've found that to be the rarity.

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:40 PM
My kids had the same K teacher, and I think she is very good at her job. She can teach anyone anything. She has a lot more patience than I do with stuff. We also private school, and ds class has 13 students total, which is have the average class size of public school which makes a huge difference in giving students one on time with her, and for picking up on problems right away. Plus our school gives K kids 3 smaller recesses as opposed to one big one, whichh makes a up huge difference in letting boys burn off some steam.

I do not think public schools are kid friendly in general, and while they may have good teachers there, they just don't have the time or resources to deal with kids in a way they would like.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:11 PM

In the lower grades (5th and below) I think either a teacher is good with smalls or not. Not necessarily that they're better with boys or girls. Though I only have girls so please take that into account. :)

My oldest had a teacher for 3rd grade that just wasn't a good fit, I think the teacher was in the wrong grade entirely (IMO she shouldn't have been teaching anything lower than 8th grade). You have to have a certain personality to teach elementary, and some people just don't have it. Nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of other grades to teach. My DD did OKAY in 3rd grade, despite the teacher, and at that school she was at all of the 3rd grade teachers except 1 were a poor fit for elementary (and one teacher was an awful teacher that should have been fired, especially after she was arrested for drug possession).  We moved before my youngest hit 3rd grade so I didn't have to deal with it there.

Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM
I've never noticed teachers being able to teach girls easier then boys or vise versa. I believe some teachers are better at certain age groups then other ages.
I wouldn't be able to handle teenage girls....thank goodness I'm not a teacher.
I do believe there is a difference between private school teachers and public school teachers, but not with teaching one gender better then the other.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM

I agree that some teachers are better with some age groups than others. There is a very good reason why I'm a lunch monitor in dd's elementary school instead of ds2's middle school or ds1's high school- I can handle the issues/conflicts of the younger kids much better than those of the older kids. Being a little silly with them most of the time means they know they really messed up when I go all "Mom voice" on them, and they tend to listen a bit better for a while.

Quoting Hoos456: I've never noticed teachers being able to teach girls easier then boys or vise versa. I believe some teachers are better at certain age groups then other ages. I wouldn't be able to handle teenage girls....thank goodness I'm not a teacher. I do believe there is a difference between private school teachers and public school teachers, but not with teaching one gender better then the other.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I am another one who hasn't ever noticed teachers who teach better to one gender over another, but has noticed teachers who would be better suited to another age group.

KitKatt27
by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Teachers are trained in identifying the ways children learn. There are several different learning styles and people can have many differing combinations. No one has only 1 learning style, even if it is dominate. Teachers are supposed to be taught to both identify these styles, and then adapt a teaching style that incorporates all of them. That is what makes a good teacher. It doesn't matter if the student is male or female. Sterotyping is bad. There are just as many active girls as boys. I feel some teachers are just better suited to be teachers, while others just went and got a degree in teaching and compeltely suck at applying what they learned to the act of teaching.

Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM
I'll watch 20 little kids all by myself, before I would even think about dealing with 3 teenagers lol.

Quoting wakymom:

I agree that some teachers are better with some age groups than others. There is a very good reason why I'm a lunch monitor in dd's elementary school instead of ds2's middle school or ds1's high school- I can handle the issues/conflicts of the younger kids much better than those of the older kids. Being a little silly with them most of the time means they know they really messed up when I go all "Mom voice" on them, and they tend to listen a bit better for a while.

Quoting Hoos456: I've never noticed teachers being able to teach girls easier then boys or vise versa. I believe some teachers are better at certain age groups then other ages.
I wouldn't be able to handle teenage girls....thank goodness I'm not a teacher.
I do believe there is a difference between private school teachers and public school teachers, but not with teaching one gender better then the other.

Nikidu
by Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Like some of the others have said, not so much girls/boys as age groups. When I was in hs, we had a French teacher jump from 2nd grade to hs. She was in tears on a daily basis. It was terrible. We also had a teacher show such blatant racism toward the white students that the black students and subsequently, the parents got her fired. Some people really need to check their job description

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM

I can handle a small group of teens- my oldest is 16, so I've gotten better at it- but larger groups. . . I'm trying to figure out how, at 45, I still feel a touch intimidated by a group of people young enough to be my kids.

Quoting Hoos456: I'll watch 20 little kids all by myself, before I would even think about dealing with 3 teenagers lol.
Quoting wakymom:

Quoting Hoos456: I've never noticed teachers being able to teach girls easier then boys or vise versa. I believe some teachers are better at certain age groups then other ages. I wouldn't be able to handle teenage girls....thank goodness I'm not a teacher. I do believe there is a difference between private school teachers and public school teachers, but not with teaching one gender better then the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)