Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First grade teacher demonstrates nose picking in class

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

I read the advice column in the local paper today. Someone wrote in and said she taught first grade for 20 years. At the beginning of the school year, she sat the kids down and started picking her nose. The kids would start grimacing and making noises indicating they were uncomfortable. She would then tell them "It doesn't look any better when you do it" and have a discussion with them about how to handle this problem in private - and then go thoroughly wash her hands. She never had a student pick his/her nose in front of her.

The advice columnist commented that she obviously made quite an impression and then said that this technique might not work today. She said that anyone walking by, or hearing about it from their child, might lodge a complaint.

It got me wondering - would you lodge a complaint if your child came home & told you about this? Would you complain if you walked by the classroom & saw her doing this?  In either case, would you talk to the teacher first to get the truth?

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I would just think that the teacher needs more adult time.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd probably laugh, wonder if it worked, and then forget all about it.  I save my complaints and battles for things that actually matter.  Sadly, though, I imagine some up-tight parent would be at the school raising hell over it.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:16 PM

That is quite possible. lol

I don't remember ever seeing a kid in K or 1st grade pick his/her nose in class. But I have an admittedly small sample size and of kids whose parents choose to spend money on private school tuition which can translate into parents who spend more effort on teaching their kids things (it doesn't always, though).

I do remember giggling with a friend (in private) over a then 9 year old cousin picking his nose (and eating it) during church. So I guess it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Quoting steelcrazy:

No, I would just think that the teacher needs more adult time.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM

I'm wondering why anyone would get upset about this. As much as I might think it wasn't necessary, it sure doesn't hurt anything.

Quoting jamianne:

I'd probably laugh, wonder if it worked, and then forget all about it.  I save my complaints and battles for things that actually matter.  Sadly, though, I imagine some up-tight parent would be at the school raising hell over it.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM

What would there be to complain about?

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM

This is what I'm wondering. I was surprised at the reaction of the advice columnist.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

What would there be to complain about?

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM

I'd laugh because that's funny and effective. 

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM
This!

Quoting jamianne:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 5:29 AM

I'd crack up laughing - she's right.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 7:23 AM

I might wonder a bit, but not complain about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)