Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teased about not believing.

Posted by on May. 13, 2007 at 8:12 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have a 6 year old in Kindergarden in a public school. It is a small school in a small town. The problem is, he has been teased about not believing in God. We are not religious. He had never heard the word God or Jesus until this year.
We believe in Karma and the Way, which is basically be a good person, treat people with respect and things will be alright.
It's been quite interesting talking to him about this subject at the age of 6. Never thought that would be, but these children are actually saying he is going to hell if he does not beleive in God!! Rediculous!
My son knows that everybody believes in something different and to respect the fact that they do. I just have a hard time with some people who think everybody has to think like they do.
Thoughts?
by on May. 13, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stand4sumthn07
by on May. 13, 2007 at 8:28 PM
I feel the same way. My husband and I talk to our kids about other religions, so they understand what others believe and why we don't have a specific belief. We've been lucky that where we live is a very diverse community, but I was not so lucky as a child. I wasn't raised to be religious and was teased. I was a very vocal child and stood up for myself and didn't come out so hurt. It's just too bad that people can't teach their children to be tolerant of all beliefs and lifestyles. The world could be such a wonderful place if only parents would step up and teach their kids love for all. I hope everything works out for your family.
ilovemyturtle
by on May. 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM
My daughter gets teased for being jewish she even has been called Anne Frank by her class mates parents THERE PARENTS I wish I could wring there necks
SunnyLady
by on May. 13, 2007 at 10:50 PM
We are very devout Christians. We have taught our six year old daughter who is in the first grade that Jesus/the trinity is the only true God, and that those who don't believe in Him are not able to go to heaven (No offense to anyone, but that is what we believe). The core of our faith is believing the only way to heaven is by the blood of Christ through His death on the cross, and belief in Him as our Savior, essentially to be born again.

However, we have also taught our daughter about other faiths (Her teacher is from India and is teaching them about the holidays of her faith too :) We have told her we never tell someone they are going to hell (If she finds out they are not a believer), or that their faith is wrong (If she finds out they are of another religion). Instead of saying something like that, we have taught her to privately pray for that person, and pray that the Holy Spirit will plant the seed of faith in their heart. We pray with her that the seed of faith will grow in that person, and they will want to come to us and ask us about Jesus and a life in Him.

We don't go around preaching, but we don't hide our faith either, so we don't hesitate to talk about Jesus in our everyday life with anyone. An example of this might be saying to a friend how Jesus answered a prayer of ours, or that we enjoy all the Spring flowers created by our Lord. We don't want our daughter to ever be embarrassed to be a Christian, or to talk about loving Jesus.

We don't allow our child to make fun of anyone for ANY reason. We have zero tolerance for teasing or making fun of people. We have told her how much teasing hurts, and that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. She knows she would be in big trouble for teasing, and has never done it. She always gets great comments from her teachers about how she gets along with other kids, and how sensitive she is towards them.

We believe in giving the world a good example of what a true Christian is. I just wanted you to know there are devout Christian children out there who would never be like the children in your son's class.

Sunny

PS I posted this just to give people an idea of what we teach our daughter as devout Christians, and how our daughter treats those who don't believe as a result of those teachings. Please no religious debates.
AnnF
by on May. 14, 2007 at 1:45 AM

You need to have a talk with the teacher. Your son should not have to deal with this. He's being teased and it doesn't matter what the subject matter is, it should not happen.

The teacher needs to take whatever appropriate action is typical for teasing. If it continues then it needs to go to the principal.

Good Luck!

anozira36
by on May. 14, 2007 at 1:58 AM
my son started asking about God too. i am also not a religious person. my church is the outdoors. my prayers are my thoughts hopes and dreams. i told him to just believe in what he feels is right. i answer as much of his questions as i can. i also let him know i believe in a heaven the rest is unknown. we are very much interested in new age stuff such as wiccan and psychics. he sees and knows things and is very aware of it. i think everyone just comes up to there own conclusions about life after life and all in between. what ever gives you peace of mind. as long as you do what you can that is good. i think everything will be alright,
mommyto03
by on May. 14, 2007 at 3:34 PM
First off let me start by saying that is horrible that it's happening with your son I have never been really religious but I've recently started going to church every Sunday and I pray with my son,I've taught him that there are all different types of religion and not everyone goes to church or practices the same religion. I've also taught him that he should not make fun of other people for either believing or not believing. Im so sorry that this is happening to your son,my mom also always said that unfortunately now in days kids can be so cruel and what's also said to report is that sometimes it's the parents fault because they say certain things infront of their kids and in turn their children turn around and repeat it. Have you tried bringing it to the teachers attention and let her know what is going on? Im Catholic and like I said we attend church but I like your system as well your teaching your son the way that you feel is best for you and your family. So Good luck and I hope that you get your problem resolved and let us know when you go keep us updated.
mommyof_3
by on May. 14, 2007 at 4:18 PM
That just goes to show you that parents don't educate there children very well. It is sad that he has to be the but of someones joke. This is why I believe they should teach religion in school, not just one but all this give the children an open mind about all different religons.  When our children grow up and enter this big world they are going to find a lot of different religions, they need to be educated about it.. How else are they to survive in this world?
zhen
by on May. 14, 2007 at 7:18 PM
Thankyou for your support.
I have talked to his teacher and she agrees with us. She also happens to go to church with 2 of the kids(the 2 who were teasing) and has since talked to their parents and things are better. It just blows me away that  6 year olds are saing these things. And yes ultimately it is the parents fault.
It's interesting that one of the parents on here is christian and makes sure her children do not tease but yet they are made to sort of feel sorry for people who are not going to Heaven.So they pray for them. At the same time I tend to feel sorry for people who are closed minded. Not to say you are. You are putting more thought into raising them than alot of parents.
By the way my husband is Jewish,which I hope does not give my children trouble later on.
LOVE ALL, TRUELY
busybee671011
by on May. 14, 2007 at 10:56 PM
I try to teach my kids to accept people for who they are not what their religion or background is.
apmomof7plus
by on May. 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM
I believe very much like Sunny and teach teasing or judging is not acceptable in any form.  Incidents like this sadden me deeply.  I'm so glad that the teacher helped put a stop to it.  I agree with the poster that said, teasing - no matter the subject matter - should be dealt with period.

~Olga (32)
my honey Joe (29) and our crew Maksim 14, Tamara 13, Faith 8, Angelina 7, Isaiah 6, Mary 4, and Julia 3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN