Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teased about not believing.

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a 6 year old in Kindergarden in a public school. It is a small school in a small town. The problem is, he has been teased about not believing in God. We are not religious. He had never heard the word God or Jesus until this year.
We believe in Karma and the Way, which is basically be a good person, treat people with respect and things will be alright.
It's been quite interesting talking to him about this subject at the age of 6. Never thought that would be, but these children are actually saying he is going to hell if he does not beleive in God!! Rediculous!
My son knows that everybody believes in something different and to respect the fact that they do. I just have a hard time with some people who think everybody has to think like they do.
Thoughts?
by on May. 13, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-13):
Bewitching42day
by on May. 15, 2007 at 2:41 PM
Hey there, I have been kind of having a similiar issue with my 6 year old who just started school this year.  Since she started school we have had to talk about the issue of "God"  and considering I'm pagan and believe in several different aspects then it's been at times amusing and at times she's insulted me ( of course she's only 6 and doesn't really realize she's insulting me) but at times it has been exhausting having these conversations, she just seems a bit too young to get the concepts regardless of how hard I try.
40plusmom
by on May. 15, 2007 at 5:06 PM
My hubie and Iwere both raised catholic,are bringing our children up catholic,my daughter will make first communion next year.I THINK THAT ITS TERRIBLE TO JUDGE ANYONE ON RELIGION,RACE,SEXUAL ORIENTATION!Shame on all those who do,Idont push my beliefs on anyone,dont push your beliefs on me but Iaccept people for who they are on the inside!
jacejenkins
by on May. 18, 2007 at 2:00 AM
I am sorry that your child had to go through that. I am pagan myself and my son is christian by his own choice. It gets interesting around here sometimes. But what came to my mind when I read your post was when my son was teased for not believing in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I have never taught him those things. I have also taught him why I feel sad on Saint Patricks day too and he understands that. I have had teachers call me and ask me to speak to Jason because he told the other children that Santa did not bring his presents that it was just fun to make believe. I did tell my son to not talk about that with his classmates that their parents should be the ones to tell them and that it hurt their feelings when told them that.  I have had teachers send home notes asking that all the kids dress in green for St Patricks Day. I wrote back and told them that I did not celebrate or encourage my son to celebrate that day either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)