Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated with the math teacher. 1/25 UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:48 AM
  • 17 Replies

Update (1/25): DD had her meeting with the teacher and principal. She says it went well. She asked what happens if she fails math (summer school, repeating?) he said they don't do summer school, and he won't let her fail... okay... that's not an answer so I guess I'll ask.

banging head into wall

Anyway. She pointed out that several of the online things have errors in them, principal says "Oh we don't make those tests" Yeah...no shit Sherlock, but it's a teacher's job to see that crap and alert/adjust accordingly not just ignore it. Does she even look at tests before giving them? My guess is no. @-@ She pointed out some errors online to them, and they saw that she did some of them over (only way to show me her work) and gave her credit for those which bumped her grade up to a high D now.

Nothing else got accomplished really, and I'm still going in for that meeting because I still have legit concerns, and I need it to be clear that you can't have a half assed meeting with my kid, throw some points at the problem and think I'll forget.

Still waiting on a call or email.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After posting I remembered that since DH is military we have access to a school liaison officer, and while they mainly handle things like new families to the area, or making sure a kid with an IEP get their services in a new school, they also handle what I'm going through and know all the things to do and people to talk to. 

So I called the lady and told her everything that was going on. She told me who to email before the Super (chain of command) which is the Director Of Student Services and the Asst. Superintendent. I asked if I should wait for the principal to reply to my earlier email, she said no, but to CC him on this one. She closed with telling me to call her back if this issue isn't resolved to my satisfaction, and that I have several options here.

So I did that, wrote up an email, had my sister look it over, and off it went. Not even 30 minutes later I got a call from the Director.

At this point he's going to have the principal and teacher arrange to meet with me no later than Tuesday morning (if that doesn't happen I'm to call him back right away). If after that meeting I'm not satisfied I'm to call him back to explore options. One of those being moving DD to the other middle school, which she will be bused to and from, taking my main concern off the table (how to get 2 kids to 2 different schools 12 miles apart at the same time). They have a stop at the current school to take kids zoned for current school to the other school. I talked to DD about that possibility and she said "OH my friend goes there, that would be AWESOME!!!" so at least she's cool with that.

I have all kinds of things noted for my meeting. I don't see any solution other than new math teacher though. I have a sneaking suspicion the teacher will take my "making a stink" out on DD. It's what happened already. I complained when my kid's B dropped to a D for no reason, her grade went back up to a B and then dropped to an F out of nowhere.... I don't trust or like this teacher so I'm thinking my kid will likely just be switching schools, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. :-/  I'll update again after I have that meeting.

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM

To coin a southern phrase: " That would burn my biscuits" if I had to deal with all the crap you are dealing with. I hope that this is straightened asap, even if it means moving kiddo to a different school. She is too close to HS at this point to start being screwed up grade wise/education wise.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I made sure that was stuck in my email. Since the school she goes to claims to be all about college prep from Kindergarten on. I made sure to point out that not only are they not delivering on their own promises they're actively screwing my kid & others over.

The principal had this big ass spiel at the beginning of the year that the problem with schools in the US is that college prep doesn't start until high school if at all, and by then it's too late, that it needs to start in kindergarten and continue all the way through. WELL If that's the case WHY are you allowing an incompetent teacher to f*ck over her students? Not just mine. Yes I fully plan to throw that in his face at our meeting, I'm going to enjoy it too.

Quoting mcginnisc:

To coin a southern phrase: " That would burn my biscuits" if I had to deal with all the crap you are dealing with. I hope that this is straightened asap, even if it means moving kiddo to a different school. She is too close to HS at this point to start being screwed up grade wise/education wise.  

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I made sure that was stuck in my email. Since the school she goes to claims to be all about college prep from Kindergarten on. I made sure to point out that not only are they not delivering on their own promises they're actively screwing my kid & others over.

The principal had this big ass spiel at the beginning of the year that the problem with schools in the US is that college prep doesn't start until high school if at all, and by then it's too late, that it needs to start in kindergarten and continue all the way through. WELL If that's the case WHY are you allowing an incompetent teacher to f*ck over her students? Not just mine. Yes I fully plan to throw that in his face at our meeting, I'm going to enjoy it too.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Good for you! Enjoy every minute of it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM

At least you have an option if things don't improve. 

Pukalani79
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:51 AM
I am glad you have support
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM
That's great you have a plan. Let us know how it goes.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM

I can't wait to hear how the meeting goes.  

Sebbiemama
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM

I'm glad you got someone to respond and take your kids needs seriously, but if they end up bussing her to another school with competent teachers what about all the other kids? This crappy teacher is the only math teacher at her current school, right? And all the kids are getting screwed by her, right? So what, bus all the kids over to the new school? Or only offer an acceptable education to kids who have very squeaky-wheel parents, and ignore the rest? You absolutely need to look out for your kid and do what is right for her, but this is just a huge problem for the school. I honestly don't know what they could do besides replace her or have someone else watch her every move, until she either improves or is replaced.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Sadly I can only speak for my own kid. It will be up to the other parents to squeak for theirs. I wonder how many students she has already chased off.

Quoting Sebbiemama:

I'm glad you got someone to respond and take your kids needs seriously, but if they end up bussing her to another school with competent teachers what about all the other kids? This crappy teacher is the only math teacher at her current school, right? And all the kids are getting screwed by her, right? So what, bus all the kids over to the new school? Or only offer an acceptable education to kids who have very squeaky-wheel parents, and ignore the rest? You absolutely need to look out for your kid and do what is right for her, but this is just a huge problem for the school. I honestly don't know what they could do besides replace her or have someone else watch her every move, until she either improves or is replaced.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Good luck with the meeting! I'm glad you found someone to help you navigate all this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)